• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brachypelma albiceps growth rate

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

I have heard that some Brachypelma species grow extremely slow and wondered if the albiceps is one of them? I got my sling Penelope in January (first pic). I know many people keep them in these sling vials when this small but I moved her out as I find it easier to manoeuvre uneaten prey without disturbing the spider, in a bigger pot.

Second picture is when she reappeared just as tiny in May :p Third picture is last week when she finally moulted :D nearly 7 months after getting her. As long as she is healthy I don't mind the slow growth, but just wanted to check? I put in a crushed head meal-worm once per week (she seems to ignore live food like beanweevils) and I keep her substrate moist with the water bowl full. I have seen her eating the mealworm sometimes so that is reassuring.

I find it interesting how some slings like Psalmopoeus are already 3 times Penelope's size a few weeks after birth, while she looks no bigger 7 months later lol.

Penelope when first arrived, 23rd Jan.JPG
30th May.JPG
Penelope moult nearly 7 months after arriving.JPG

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Perfectly normal :) on average to get to sub adult /adult size you are looking at around 10 years this varies as some will mature sooner, some later.
Brachypelma and grammostola are amongst the slowest I don't think they are anywhere as slow as H. Chilensis which moult once or if you are lucky twice a year and never put on any size :D
Well worth the wait though..

Jenniferinfl

I believe that albiceps is one of the slowest of the brachy's and brachypelma are slow anyways.

For comparison, my .33" hamorii has molted twice since June and is now almost an inch, my bohmei has molted once but is currently very premolt and my G pulchripes has molted twice. My G. pulchra that was a bit over an inch has molted once and is very premolt as well. These were mostly acquired June of this year. I live in Florida and my house is warm and humid which gives me a big advantage this time of year.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
If you were not in a hurry, the species you mentioned are perfect, you can also affect growth rate with frequency of feeding and temperature of keeping. Slower is better for health reasons which is why I recommend if you want a larger tarantula, don't buy a sling of those species

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Thanks very much for all the info! Glad to hear this is normal, I am guessing they are similar to the A. chalcodes growth rate then. I have a small juvenile Brachypelma emilia to fulfil my eagerness to see Brachypelma adult colours :p

I don't heat the spiderlings more than the adults like some do, so yeah that may make it extra slow, but will be well worth the wait :)

Latest posts