• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bioluminescent millipede, Motyxia sp

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Got three of these from Bugsincyberspace, two females and a male! These guys can actually glow in the dark, without a blacklight or anything.
Will try to get pictures of them glowing tonight, but for now, here are some pictures of them in the light of day:

Motyxia%25231.JPG

Motyxia%25232.JPG

Motyxia%25233.JPG

Motyxia%25235.JPG

My male is currently curled up like this, I'm hoping he's just resting....
Motyxia%252311.JPG

Motyxia%252314.JPG

Motyxia%252317.JPG

The cage:
Motyxiacage%25231.JPG

BTW, for the substrate I am using a mix of crushed dead leaves, rotten cottonwood, fermented Traeger sawdust, and some rotten wood from an unknown tree sp. There is a layer of dead leaves on top of the substrate for the millipedes to hide under. The substrate is a few inches deep, hopefully they will reproduce for me and make some egg chambers! :D Will definitely keep you guys updated.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
I need to get some of these, cool sp.

You totally should, BIC will hopefully have some available again in a few weeks, however do keep in mind that most Polydesmids are rather fragile millipedes, and don't like temps much above the low 70s. Plus they need a substrate of rotten wood, anything else mixed in besides a small amount of dead leaves may prove to kill them.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You totally should, BIC will hopefully have some available again in a few weeks, however do keep in mind that most Polydesmids are rather fragile millipedes, and don't like temps much above the low 70s. Plus they need a substrate of rotten wood, anything else mixed in besides a small amount of dead leaves may prove to kill them.
I heard there was a special moss or maybe fungus they eat in the wild that makes them glow, but that you can grow it in the enclosures with them..plus they sound delicate. I'll stick with the pissed off beetles, methinks..hey did you see my scorpion / orange mite question in the new scorp forum? Know anything about them? They bother me..i checked mine and kymura's and they look clean..i checked with a scope.

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
I heard there was a special moss or maybe fungus they eat in the wild that makes them glow, but that you can grow it in the enclosures with them..plus they sound delicate. I'll stick with the pissed off beetles, methinks..hey did you see my scorpion / orange mite question in the new scorp forum? Know anything about them? They bother me..i checked mine and kymura's and they look clean..i checked with a scope.

Nope, that's with glowspot roaches, these glow without any fungi or anything. :) They are a bit delicate, in fact my male just died today. :( However he was sickly since I got him, so I was expecting him to die. The other two seem just fine though.

I haven't seen that thread yet, I'll go check it out.

Last edited:

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Well my largest female died a few days ago, which was sad. :( However, I dug around the substrate a bit and found a big clump of eggs! :D So far I'm the only person to report getting eggs from this species, hopefully others are having similar success.

Here are some pictures of them:
Motyxiaeggs%25231.JPG

Motyxiaeggs%25232.JPG