• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

BioDude Aranea

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
I love this substrate.
I’ve started a couple of bio enclosures with plants. One has been going for three weeks now with just a pothos plant. So far it’s doing very well. I’ve added a nice grow light.

My question is, do I need to do the layering with clay balls and mesh? I noticed online that biodude states that with this substrate it doesn’t need the layering.
I’ve also used a bit of the “bio shot” mix.

Any thoughts?

thank you. :)

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I love this substrate.
I’ve started a couple of bio enclosures with plants. One has been going for three weeks now with just a pothos plant. So far it’s doing very well. I’ve added a nice grow light.

My question is, do I need to do the layering with clay balls and mesh? I noticed online that biodude states that with this substrate it doesn’t need the layering.
I’ve also used a bit of the “bio shot” mix.

Any thoughts?

thank you. :)
You should not need the drainage layer with BioDude subs.

I would be curious to see how your pothos does over time... would you mind photo documenting every few weeks and list any special care?

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
6DA37674-1209-4615-9767-463A3DA53FCB.jpeg

One on left is unoccupied— setup with found forest moss, pothos, bio shot and biodude Terra Aranea + grow light 8hours. Set up two days.
Second— Juvenile P. cambridgei, pothos, Terra Aranea - grow light 8hours. Set up three weeks.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I really like the Aranea substrate. Gradually replacing Creature Soil with it in all my enclosures. I really like Creature Soil, just not as much. My Ts are arid species (G. rosea, pulchra, pulchripes) so I am trying succulents and the soft cactus in a separate container in the same area to see how they do. As such I have not added springtails or anything like it.

So far my Ts have not liked the carbon/charcoal chips in the Aranea and have bulldozed them out of their hideouts.

I may try other plants. A month or two ago Dave's Little Beasties recommended higher temps and humidity for the G. pulchra, so I am contemplating experimenting with that.

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
I really like the Aranea substrate. Gradually replacing Creature Soil with it in all my enclosures. I really like Creature Soil, just not as much. My Ts are arid species (G. rosea, pulchra, pulchripes) so I am trying succulents and the soft cactus in a separate container in the same area to see how they do. As such I have not added springtails or anything like it.

So far my Ts have not liked the carbon/charcoal chips in the Aranea and have bulldozed them out of their hideouts.

I may try other plants. A month or two ago Dave's Little Beasties recommended higher temps and humidity for the G. pulchra, so I am contemplating experimenting with that.
Interesting about the carbon/charcoal bits—- I don’t seem to have that issue.

Anthony York

3 Year Member
Well they want there home to be comfortable how would you feel laying on a hard piece of coal at least that is what I think the reason for them doing that

Nurse Ratchet

My T albopilosus put the charcoal bits in a pile of to the side before webbing up the flooring. I assumed that meant she wasn't a fan so I pulled out what she had discarded.

Nurse Ratchet

I've had success since Oct with the Terra aranea with nerve plant (pink and white vein variety) large leaf dracaena, Peter pan ivy, golden and jade pothos, and selaginella. My succulents and rabbit root fern and struggling. Only one strand of creeping fig has survived and my narrow leaf dracaena kicked the bucket. If I can snag some wandering jew, it's rumored to be as hardy and tolerant as pothos. And the colors are a nice contrast. I'll let you know. Love your set up. I got into vivariums bf I got into T's , so they have showcase cribs... The only struggle is plants that can take minimal watering and like the aranea. T's comfort comes first.

Reptisect

3 Year Member
I've had success since Oct with the Terra aranea with nerve plant (pink and white vein variety) large leaf dracaena, Peter pan ivy, golden and jade pothos, and selaginella. My succulents and rabbit root fern and struggling. Only one strand of creeping fig has survived and my narrow leaf dracaena kicked the bucket. If I can snag some wandering jew, it's rumored to be as hardy and tolerant as pothos. And the colors are a nice contrast. I'll let you know. Love your set up. I got into vivariums bf I got into T's , so they have showcase cribs... The only struggle is plants that can take minimal watering and like the aranea. T's comfort comes first.
All I do is plant the plants that like moisture near the water dish. This way the plants are watered when the water dish is refilled or washed. I also mist those specific plants every other day.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah that’s the issue. Most plants need light to grow, but I have begun to wonder what impact the aquarium plant lights I use have on the Ts. They seem to come out more, but maybe that is because they are older and have shed at least a modicum of their skittishness.

thanks @Nurse Ratchet for the plant suggestions!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The charcoal helps microorganisms like springtails thrive to clean your enclosure. Totally harmless for tarantulas. Tarantulas bulldoze them because they are easy to grab and move...place small gravel or clay balls in there and they will do the same thing. They’re just great excavators.

Last edited:

Latest posts