• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Big Shirl in Ohio

RobnBig

3 Year Member
Hey all. Picked up my first T. She's a Mexican Curly Haired and she's cool. I don't know much about her because I got her off Craigslist. Seems like she wasn't taken very good care of. Substrait was super dry and clumpy and humidity was super low. Guy was asking 50 for her and the 10 gallon setup and I got her for free. I'm going to guess he didn't want her. I think she's only 2. When i brought her home she was just hiding in her burrow ( not one she made but a store bought sponge like one). Now a week later she seems to come out quite a bit even during the day. I got the substrate wet again and keep misting in the terrarium. I have crickets in there with their own food and water so Big Shirl can hunt when she wants to. I'm not sure if she's eating so should I handle this differently? It just seems to differ depending on what you read. I'll talk to anyone who has any advise. Thanks in advance. By the way do any of you older timers remember who Big Shirl was? Think 70's tv

RobnBig

3 Year Member
Pic of Big Shir

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 11

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dry is what you want for a Curly hair, They're not a tropical species. A water bowl is all the humidity you need. 50% is fine. Mist only one corner if anything.
don't worry about her eating habits, they can go a long time.

RobnBig

3 Year Member
Oh I thought I read they were. She sure seems to like it. We'll dry er up. Should
I keep a bunch of crickets in there or just a few?

DalilahBlue

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You should only offer one or two prey items at a time and remove the uneaten ones after 24 hours or so. Crickets can actually injure your T's.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Unfortunately there is a lot of contradicting info out there. Brachypelma species in General prefer it dry.

Atx13

3 Year Member
Welcome to the forums, B. albopilosum are awesome Ts, one of my favorite Brachys.

Latest posts