• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best thing to do for this poor roach? :(

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

One of my pet hissing roaches got stuck in his moult last night :( It took me one and a half hours to get most of the moult off using a pipette for water, cotton swab and scissors to cut anything that was definitely not attached to the fresh body. Where there was white goo I put corn starch on in the hope of clotting the bleeding, like I heard you should do for tarantulas, but I'm not sure if roach 'blood' is the same? He is still alive (see video), and the legs are much more free than they were originally; he seems to be trying to clean them. However it looks unlikely he'll ever be able to walk :( The legs are so mangled and parts are nearly completely severed but I don't know if it's possible to amputate without causing him to die in an even more painful way? He hissed when I attempted to put him upright, so I have stopped doing that, I assume the hiss is discomfort but at least the hiss is intact.

I don't know if I should have just put him out of his misery last night :( I don't know what the best way to euthanize is if I should do that?

For now I am continuing to put water droplets on him every now and again which he seems to be drinking/helping him to try to clean the legs. He is also in a separate enclosure on his own now.

DSC02185 - Copy.JPG

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure if any of my Ts that are big enough are hungry as they've been refusing food for months/possibly in pre-moult but will see.

Latest posts