• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best feeders for T stirmi

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Mine has refused food but I've only had him, I think male, for a few days. He may well be wild caught since I rescued him from a pet store.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Come on now, you know it may take him/her a couple weeks to settle and make the enclosure its own,
stop offering for a few days, then it may take advantage of a juicy meal. easy to say no when food keeps falling from the sky, :p

On a more serious note what have you tried, ? My old porteri gal I used to have would literally only eat mealworms or crickets, nothing else ever.
My honest advice is dont offer anything for at least a week, then try one thing at time till you hit on what peaks its interest ^*^

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My stirmi's will eat anything at anytime. If your stirmi isn't eating it's in premolt or something else is the problem.
Things mine like to eat... I like to mix it up so I'll feed them one group of the following a week.
12 crickets
6 red runners
2 hissers
2 hornworms (usually after molt or before premolt full of H20)

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I tried offering it earthworms and 2 small Dubai roaches. I called Rick's and got the spider Wrangler, by which I mean the only employee who isn't scared to death of them, on the line.

She confirmed that he had eaten a hisser roach on Saturday and that I had got him Monday. She said he usually eats once every week or two. She figured I might come back to get him and fed him the biggest hisser that they had in the colony, apologized for forgetting to mention that. She said he'll eat anything, cautioned against feeding mice.

(Bonus points for that)

The situation there at Rick's is like a brutal concentration camp that has just one guard that takes pity on the prisoners. She also thanked me for suggesting new world Ts like genics and others instead of all those Cobalt blues and feather legs that they were selling before.

Currently he's at the back center of the cage chilling out. There's been no glass climbing or any other misbehavior like that which means he likes the temps and substrate. He did throw some substrate into the water dish however.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah.....dang substrate...just cleaned and fed...filled water dishes, my Aphonoplema chalcodes rushed over, (after all, it might have been more food) dropped all three crickets, promptly filled the dish till it was muck, no water visible, went back to eating, then poked around in it later like she was thirsty, so...I cleaned and filled it, she promptly refilled it with sub and is now hovering over it cricket in her mouth so I cannot touch it....rotten spiders....

Last edited:

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'm on the "come on now" side of things mate, you've given advice covering this, you've helped me. You know not to panic if the water dish is full and the abdomen isn't crinkled like a prune, you're just freaking out for nothing I bet.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Good news.

He found the burrow and fits inside, snug as a bug in a rug actually.

I moistened the substrate more and everything looks fine.

T stirmi Mini me Promised Land 2.jpg
T stirmi Mini me Promised Land 1.jpg

This is what you want to see.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I just couldn't believe that you of all people were anxious, you must be excited!!!
I would be too, it was looking at arachnoclowns that got me excited about my big brown aussie ones, they seem much the same.

My wife now has all the biggest of the Aussie Big Browns. Goliath, Strennus, Stents and Rubiseta.