• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best Arboreal Enclosure?

rénee

3 Year Member
Im still far off from having to purchase a new arboreal type enclosure, but i am just curios for when the time does come, and so i can keep my eyes open for deals. I am just wondering which enclosure is considered more beneficial for the T.

I am currently looking at a Exo Terra 8" x 8" x 12" http://www.amazon.ca/Northern-Gecko...s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1451667196&sr=1-18

And Jamie's Acrylic 8 " x 8" x 14" https://jamiestarantulas.com/adult-tarantula-cage/

I know people have mixed feelings about each one, i was just hoping if people could give me some pro's and con's to both. Money isn't a huge issue for me, as i will not be a huge T collector, but plan to have a few but if I'm not having a huge abundance then i find that it is ok to spend a bit more on their enclosures :)

I will be doing "handmade" containers and such for when the T's do grow, but as the final adult result i would like something more appealing :) Thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR :T:

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Between these two, and for the price, I would go with the exotera. Acrylic is nice, but it scratches easily, yellows over time(a long time), warps with humidity changes.
Personally, I prefer glass for all my display Ts.

rénee

3 Year Member
Between these two, and for the price, I would go with the exotera. Acrylic is nice, but it scratches easily, yellows over time(a long time), warps with humidity changes.
Personally, I prefer glass for all my display Ts.
Does the ExoTerra offer enough cross ventilation? Ive also heard mixed reviews on this, i do like the look of the Exo terra better, i just like that the acrylic one is a bit taller.

It does state though too for the Exo Terra's that there is a cut out in the back for wires and tubing, I'm sure at adult size it wouldn't be able to get out, but just in car of legs getting stuck or anything id have to fill that in.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Im still far off from having to purchase a new arboreal type enclosure, but i am just curios for when the time does come, and so i can keep my eyes open for deals. I am just wondering which enclosure is considered more beneficial for the T.

I am currently looking at a Exo Terra 8" x 8" x 12" http://www.amazon.ca/Northern-Gecko...s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1451667196&sr=1-18

And Jamie's Acrylic 8 " x 8" x 14" https://jamiestarantulas.com/adult-tarantula-cage/

I know people have mixed feelings about each one, i was just hoping if people could give me some pro's and con's to both. Money isn't a huge issue for me, as i will not be a huge T collector, but plan to have a few but if I'm not having a huge abundance then i find that it is ok to spend a bit more on their enclosures :)

I will be doing "handmade" containers and such for when the T's do grow, but as the final adult result i would like something more appealing :) Thanks, and HAPPY NEW YEAR :T:
Personally, I usually avoid exoterra a) too expensive b) not very attractive and c) they often dry out quickly due to the full mesh set up and so if you need high humidity, you will be constantly misting. Like @Scoolman I also prefer glass as more hygienic and better to clean ran acrylic plus all the other advantages listed. I tend to convert aquqrium where I can. Below is the set up for my P.Metallica
20151230_174716.jpg

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Forgot to mention, never had any problems with no cross ventilation but maybe I am just lucky. All tanks have vents in the top as drilling into glass is a tad difficult. ....lol

rénee

3 Year Member
I do have a place in my city who sells the ExoTerra's and for a decent price, plus i have kijiji.. although i don't know how i feel about buying used tanks.. just in case of any transferred diseases and such..

And for my A. Avic i don't necessarily need the high humidity like some other T's do.. Also when it is an adult it will have a bigger water dish, i will be adding spag moss to help with the humidity, and if need be i will mist every so often/inject a bit of water deeper into the substrate with a syringe.

But obviously if i can find a cheaper, more suitable route for the T i will take that path instead.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do have a place in my city who sells the ExoTerra's and for a decent price, plus i have kijiji.. although i don't know how i feel about buying used tanks.. just in case of any transferred diseases and such..

And for my A. Avic i don't necessarily need the high humidity like some other T's do.. Also when it is an adult it will have a bigger water dish, i will be adding spag moss to help with the humidity, and if need be i will mist every so often/inject a bit of water deeper into the substrate with a syringe.

But obviously if i can find a cheaper, more suitable route for the T i will take that path instead.
All that sounds sensible.:) If you don't have already, a digital thermometer/hygrometer is a worthy investment. Really cheap on ebay and the like if you are happy to inject more income into China.

rénee

3 Year Member
All that sounds sensible.:) If you don't have already, a digital thermometer/hygrometer is a worthy investment. Really cheap on ebay and the like if you are happy to inject more income into China.
I do have the digital thermometer, but not hygrometer, i had one of the ones that just stuck to the wall, but was told to throw that away, plus they are kind of crummy.. but i will definitely invest on a digital one :D

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I do have the digital thermometer, but not hygrometer, i had one of the ones that just stuck to the wall, but was told to throw that away, plus they are kind of crummy.. but i will definitely invest on a digital one :D
I don't like the stick on ones either. I have 3 of the combined digital ones only cost a couple of pounds (GBP) so a few dollars? That included postage.

Scoolman

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For the extotera, you can partially cover the screen top to reduce some air flow, which will help with humidity. As for used tanks I just soak them with a bleach solution. More of my tanks are used than new. A pet store was closing its doors a few years ago and I got a dozen 10gal tanks for $80

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
For the extotera, you can partially cover the screen top to reduce some air flow, which will help with humidity. As for used tanks I just soak them with a bleach solution. More of my tanks are used than new. A pet store was closing its doors a few years ago and I got a dozen 10gal tanks for $80
Yep, have tried the partial cover route which worked fine. All tanks I have had have been new. Still give them a good clean anyway. Not sure fish disease is transferable, E to arachnids if used tanks are being used but you never know. You got a good deal, with the tanks ☺

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't like exp terra or zoo med enclosures. Sure they look nice, but they have very poor ventilation. They literally have no cross-ventilation, so they're not very good for keeping Avics. IMO, the best arboreal enclosure is the one you build yourself. Also yeah these are freaking over priced its not even funny. To be honest, unless you have a ton of money to spend, you will drain your bank account in no time buying these enclosures for every tarantula you get, that is if you do plan to expand your collection in the future. I have one lying around, and I'm planning on using it for one of three possible arboreals from my collection, but I'm only using it because it's just been lying around taking up space since the female P.regalis I kept in it passed.

rénee

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone for the feedback :) I originally was going to build a new enclosure for Cynthia but decided against it cause she is doing just fine in her enclosure now, no need to spend more money and just have an empty enclosure(or that just gives me the excuse to just get another T:rolleyes:) But i since i have a long way to go before this little one is big enough to be in a adult enclosure, i might as well hit the drawing board, and slowly start making one. It would be a lot more rewarding anyways :p

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll be buying premade enclosures for all of mine when they get close to full size. I won't have a ton of Ts so i'm not worried about spending the money for the dozen or so we'll have. At least that's the plan now ;)

Latest posts