• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Best 5/6 gallon enclosure for a T?

Arlo

Hey everyone!

My T. Albo, my little bulldozer, has finally defeated all laws of gravity with her tunnels but she is not quite happy with her work yet. It's clear she finally needs more space and I've been looking for a tank everywhere but can't find exactly what I need.

I'm in need of a 5 or 6 gallon tank, ideally with an acrylic lid instead of a mesh one. What would you recommend? :)

Thanks in advance!

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I am not sure how much you want to spend. It would be cheaper to buy a regular aquarium and either retrofit an acrylic lid to it or make changes to an existing screen to prevent climbing.

In the more expensive side, Herpcult sells a 12x16x10 acrylic enclosure ( 5 gallons is 16x8x10) for $100.00 with an acrylic top.

SadGoat

Hey everyone!

My T. Albo, my little bulldozer, has finally defeated all laws of gravity with her tunnels but she is not quite happy with her work yet. It's clear she finally needs more space and I've been looking for a tank everywhere but can't find exactly what I need.

I'm in need of a 5 or 6 gallon tank, ideally with an acrylic lid instead of a mesh one. What would you recommend? :)

Thanks in advance!
I have a large critter keeper that’s nice and clear, acrylic, and a plastics lid. Some people don’t like them though, but I think depending on where you go, you can get one for $25. I believe the size large one is around 3 gallons, but the XL is 5 gallons

Nurse Ratchet

You can buy 3 sheets of acrylic off Amazon for under $12. Lowe's and Home Depot sell single sheets for under $8. Get a cheap standard 5 gallon aquarium (anywhere from $9.99 to $18 at Petco depending on the current sales). There are tons of videos on YouTube for conversions. I favor Serpadesign. Or you can pay around $30 for a premade conversion lid off iheartgeckos or Etsy. Downside is, no cross ventilation.

Arlo

You can buy 3 sheets of acrylic off Amazon for under $12. Lowe's and Home Depot sell single sheets for under $8. Get a cheap standard 5 gallon aquarium (anywhere from $9.99 to $18 at Petco depending on the current sales). There are tons of videos on YouTube for conversions. I favor Serpadesign. Or you can pay around $30 for a premade conversion lid off iheartgeckos or Etsy. Downside is, no cross ventilation.
I watched a ton of videos by Serpadesign, their tanks are amazing. In the future I would love to make my own tanks, but I'm really afraid to mess up and stress out my Ts for no reason. I will definitely attempt when I have more free time though.

Latest posts