• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Beginner Basics.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is something I wrote for a Facebook group, and I think it fits here as well

Beginners are welcome here, But we ask that they please read this post
Beginner Basics.
1) Feeding: One prey item a week is plenty for any tarantula. Roaches,Crickets/Locusts, and Silk Worms are the best and most nutritious food sources. All uneaten prey should be removed after 24 hours. Feeding Mice and other vertebrates is not necessary and not recommended. Tarantulas should not be fed one week before and after a molt. On occasion Tarantulas will stop eating for long periods of time. This is normal. Do not worry; as long as the abdomen (butt) is similar size to the carapace(head) you are fine.
2) Water: Tarantulas drink water, you may not see them do it but they do. They do not need sponges or gel crystals. They can not drink from them. A simple shallow water bowl is best. For slings a weekly misting is fine.
3) Molting: Molting is how Tarantulas grow. A tarantula on its back is NOT dead, but preparing to molt. DO NOT flip it over as this can injure or kill your tarantula. The molting process can take as little as one hour or as long as two days. Be patient, and let it do its thing, do not interfere. Once your tarantula has molted it is important that you do not touch or disturb it in any way. Allow your tarantula a week or more to harden up.
4) Sexing: To sex a tarantula accurately you need an exuvium (molt/shed skin) . Open the Abdominal are of the molt, and look for a flap. If the flap is there you have a female if not a male. This varies from species to species so feel free to post clear pictures and we'll do our best to help. Ventral sexing can occasionally be done, but it is not 100% accurate .
5) Husbandry: Tarantulas are easily kept, but there are a few must haves. You must have a place for your tarantula to Hide. This can be a pies of Cork bark, a cork tube, flower pot, or any number of other options. All Tarantulas need a water source (see #2). Substrate is important. Coco coir is the most commonly used substrate. Potting soil, peat moss, and mixes can also work. Sand, Gravel (fish tank rocks) and wood chips are NOT good. Substrate should be high for terrestrials and low for arboreal.
6) Humidity: Misting your tarantula does not create humidity, it creates wetness. To raise humidity overflow your tarantulas water bowl every couple weeks. To lower humidity allow the tank to air out on its own.
7) Handling: Handling is a highly debated topic. I am personally against it but that is not to say it can't be done. If done It should be done only occasionally. Handling can be a very stressful thing for tarantulas and should be done as little as possible. It also needs to be done very close to the floor, even a small fall can injure or kill your tarantula as they are very fragile.
8 ) Knowing your tarantula: It is very important to know the animal you have. For instance; G.Rosea (the Chilean Rose Tarantula) is a desert species from Chile. It likes it Dry, and likes a lot of hiding places. But many new keepers keep the rose as a tropical tarantula. Do research on your specific species of tarantula.
9) Genus, and species: In the world of tarantulas, common names are useless. Learn the Latin names of your tarantula to better research your pet.
10) Terminology:
Arboreal: Tree dweller needs height
Terrestrial: Ground dweller
Fossorial: Burrower needs depth
MM: Mature Male
AF: Adult Female
EWL: eggs with legs (post embryo)
1i.2i,3i etc: first instar/1st molt
NW: new world (the Americas)
OW: old world (Africa,asia,australlia etc)
1.2.3: 1 male 2 female 3 unsexed.

feel free to add if you think I left anything out, or ask questions.

khatchet

3 Year Member
I wish I would have found something like this before I got my first tarantula. Thanks for this I think it will help a lot of people.

ShadEO9

3 Year Member
7) Handling: Handling is a highly debated topic. I am personally against it but that is not to say it can't be done. If done It should be done only occasionally. Handling can be a very stressful thing for tarantulas and should be done as little as possible. It also needs to be done very close to the floor, even a small fall can injure or kill your tarantula as they are very fragile.

^^ This was a question i was visiting today to ask, When i set out to get my baby spiderling i had little to no intention of handling him/her. I was more happy to admire the T without the need for getting hands on, But the pet store i purchased from were very keen that i should maintain handling, as they'd been doing so from the start.

I fully understand that some do and some don't. But for me, i'm in two minds what path to take right now. The only time i've handled so far was switching tubs as the tub i received was a little large to keep tabs on the tiny T. and he/she was just fine. But i don't wanna put myself in the firing line for a bite, nore do i want to cause the spider any harm in the process. What your thoughts folks?

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
^^ This was a question i was visiting today to ask, When i set out to get my baby spiderling i had little to no intention of handling him/her. I was more happy to admire the T without the need for getting hands on, But the pet store i purchased from were very keen that i should maintain handling, as they'd been doing so from the start.

I fully understand that some do and some don't. But for me, i'm in two minds what path to take right now. The only time i've handled so far was switching tubs as the tub i received was a little large to keep tabs on the tiny T. and he/she was just fine. But i don't wanna put myself in the firing line for a bite, nore do i want to cause the spider any harm in the process. What your thoughts folks?
First and foremost, it is important to know that your tarantula will never get used to you, and can not be tamed.
That said, like everything else in life, handling is fine in moderation. Handling daily, or even weekly is detrimental to your tarantula, it causes stress, risks the tarantulas life, and keeps it from getting settled. Slings imo, should never be handled for fun. It's just to dangerous. If you take anything out of this, take this; be responsible... Don't handle something that doesn't want to be handled, don't fight nature, work with it. learn to read your tarantulas body language, and go from there.

ShadEO9

3 Year Member
First and foremost, it is important to know that your tarantula will never get used to you, and can not be tamed.
That said, like everything else in life, handling is fine in moderation. Handling daily, or even weekly is detrimental to your tarantula, it causes stress, risks the tarantulas life, and keeps it from getting settled. Slings imo, should never be handled for fun. It's just to dangerous. If you take anything out of this, take this; be responsible... Don't handle something that doesn't want to be handled, don't fight nature, work with it. learn to read your tarantulas body language, and go from there.

Thank you Nada, You've just confirmed for me which path i'll be taking, and i've chosen to admire my T rather than to handle her. She's a real beauty and i wouldn't wanna cause any unnecessary harm to her, or myself for that matter. :)

philmurr

3 Year Member
Hi, I'm new here and have just bought my first C.rose Tarantula. I put a cricket in last night and it seems to have eaten it but my question being will the whole cricket be eaten? As I can't see anything to remove from the tank this morning! Would it have buried the remains for example? I'm sure I will have plenty more questions for here. Thanks!

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
there will usually be a small ball of exoskeleton, and wings known as a bolus. If you don't see it right away don't worry, she may have taken it into her hide. Sooner or later she'll push it out

marya1962

3 Year Member
I am not into handling Rosie because I'm of the opinion that accidents happen. One breath or twitch and no more Rosie. My son, however, handles her while I hover underneath her with outstretched hands. I think he's trying to prove he isn't scared of her (he is. I often have to "rescue" him from her.) Fortunately, the novelty is wearing off and macho boy is handling her less.

Spidro

3 Year Member
Awesome post naga, knew a lot of this already but always good to refresh. What I didnt know was about the wood chips, why is this no good? Havent used it yet, waiting for next cleaning session, but ive got a huge bag of it unopened, guess I wont be using it?

Latest posts