• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Be strong. Here's some advice.

MBullock

3 Year Member
This is not a political post. Just a supportive post..
I know you're all scared and angry. You're having trouble selling things, I am too. IMO ignore this stuff and just focus on your own survival and start getting ready cause this winter is gonna be a BAD one.

We're about to start starving soon, I can see it happening already and I can tell you're all having serious trouble.
You should be VERY worried, because im experienced in this field and even I'M scared!

Learn about edible weeds like Sowthistle (this will save your life it grows well indoors with a standard cool white bulb.) No fertilizer needed, as it thrives in thin poor soils. The only real issue is powdery mildew. to prevent powdery mildew, irrigate carefully and do not let any water splash the plant. Rust is not an issue.

Wild mustard is always edible. The stalk is hollow and makes a great addition to soups, especially when mixed with onions.

Learn the difference between the wild onion and death camas lily. Wild onion always smells like onion. if it doesnt smell like onion its dangerous.
Make lizard nooses to make sure you get fat in your diet should you run out of it. this is dangerous in winter. I'd start hunting them now while you can, IMO. Snake and lizards are full of fat. Cook them on low heat or they get too tough. the tails make a good soup stock. could probably just save all the tails and freeze em for soup stock.

Do not go after vipers unless you're an experienced herper.
DO not slaughter an entire rattlesnake den if you hit the jackpot and find one in winter. You will find less the next year and may starve to death if relying on this form of meat!

Chuckwalla are GREAT. If you can catch one. Dont bother being careful, it's food lol. if it inflates just pop it. As a form of iguana, they make excellent food.

The desert iguana is also another excellent source of food, but you have to bribe them- feeding them blossoms will make them view you as less of the threat. Put a flower on your upturned arm approx. 5-6 inches from your palm. This will trick the iguana into walking onto your hand. Keep feeding it and the moment you put another flower there, suddenly close your hand the moment it tries to take a bite.

Do not forage for grasshoppers unless you know the species and foodplants AND NEVER EAT URBAN HOPPERS. they often eat deathly toxic stuff like oleander and dont get poisoned by it. The great plains lubber is edible and generally eats alot of plants we can it. However you must purge them with cornmeal first to remove possible toxic matter.

Do not eat the eastern lubbers or horse lubbers as they're both toxic and will cause gastrointestinal distress if eaten regardless of preparation. They secrete it by reflex bleeding, similarly to a ladybird.

Tarantulas, of course, will be an excellent food source. simply burn the hairs off, remove the guts and fry them or make soup.
Tarantula soup is actually said to be quite tasty. low fat but high in protein.

Just thought some of the things I learned over the years might help you guys survive if it gets worse.

Let's hope im just being melodramatic and we're okay after this! BE SAFE!

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Just in case, if anyone from the forum leaving in or near the 5 boroughs is seriously hungry, just reach out and I'll feed you, please do not eat your tarantulas!
P.S: I'll give you food for your Ts too.
Now if anyone from a state with limited or no access to a special kind of "food" is desperately in need and you can travel to NY, we will also gladly offer you a place to stay until the "food" issue is resolved.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Just in case, if anyone from the forum leaving in or near the 5 boroughs is seriously hungry, just reach out and I'll feed you, please do not eat your tarantulas!
P.S: I'll give you food for your Ts too.
Now if anyone from a state with limited or no access to a special kind of "food" is desperately in need and you can travel to NY, we will also gladly offer you a place to stay until the "food" issue is resolved.
Its actually getting really bad in smaller towns, especially if they dont have local farms. Im noticing theyre putting heart meat in the premium hotdogs and sausages.. might as well buy Bar-S :/

Its the big inner cities that will be hit hardest thats why i mention sow thistle. That stuff is everywhere. Anaheim is already a nightmare. $7 a gallon for gas average. I dont get how these people even drive now. WAY more people walking now there. So weird. Reminds me of 1995 for some reason.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Well I guess I am a lot more optimistic than the OP. I think people can and should take precautions, such as stocking up (but not hoarding) and to be cautious and not panic.

But, should it reach that level, it is great to know that there are people like Oursapoil out there. @Oursapoil your comments warmed my heart, made me feel optimistic.

My question is where did all the workers go? Every place I go, businesses are looking for workers. It has been like this for a long time, a year or more. I think that is a big part of this problem.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Its actually getting really bad in smaller towns, especially if they dont have local farms. Im noticing theyre putting heart meat in the premium hotdogs and sausages.. might as well buy Bar-S :/

Its the big inner cities that will be hit hardest thats why i mention sow thistle. That stuff is everywhere. Anaheim is already a nightmare. $7 a gallon for gas average. I dont get how these people even drive now. WAY more people walking now there. So weird. Reminds me of 1995 for some reason.

Well I guess I am a lot more optimistic than the OP. I think people can and should take precautions, such as stocking up (but not hoarding) and to be cautious and not panic.

But, should it reach that level, it is great to know that there are people like Oursapoil out there. @Oursapoil your comments warmed my heart, made me feel optimistic.

My question is where did all the workers go? Every place I go, businesses are looking for workers. It has been like this for a long time, a year or more. I think that is a big part of this problem.
Thank you for the kind words friend from the North, if you are ever near the big apple feel free to reach out :)
Plenty of workers around, just a lot less willing to be working poor nowadays ;)
If a fulltime job cannot provide you with the income you'll need to pay your bills and live decently without government assistance, it is fair for the worker not to want to work there. I can only speak about what I witness where I live, but the only places still looking for staff are the ones not paying enough or not offering decent benefits....
Weirdly, places paying well and taking good care of their employees saw fairly little turnaround and have a lot more people applying for their open positions than they have jobs to fill.

Latest posts