1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Basics of Emperor Scorpion care.

Discussion in 'Invertebrate Pet Talk' started by ALD, Feb 12, 2018.

1. ALD

ALD Active Member

I am looking at possibly adding a Black Emperor Scorpion to my little collection - What are the basics of care I should know?
    If you know of a good website or Youtube video with good info you could point me in the direction of that would be awesome. Thanks.
  2. Denny Dee

Denny Dee Well-Known Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Hi Ald,

Been offline for awhile. Let me know if you still need any advice. I just bought another Emperor yesterday at the All Animal Expo in Wheaton, IL. Thanks.
  3. ALD

ALD Active Member

Yes!!! In your opinion what are the must haves and must do things? I'm looking for advice from people who keep them! Thanks in advance.
  4. Denny Dee

Okay. These are very hardy and easy to care for scorpions. The most important thing to provide is high humidity (80 percent roughly) so make sure you have a tool to measure that. Adding Moss helps to hold it a little longer. Ideally the substrate supports drainage as it will be moist most of the time. I use Hydraballs (or you can use gravel) as the first layer covered by 70/30 mix of Eco-Earth/Vermiculite. Water dish is critical and will aid with humidity. I recommend stones in the dish to ensure prey does not drown and keeps the scorpion from drowning as well (it took me two losses to learn that). Hide is critical to minimize stress levels. Heat source or whole room heating is possible. 80+ degrees if you are breeding but 75 is fine for general care. There is a lot of debate on temperature on the forum you should read but generally try to recreate an environment that they would enjoy in their natural habitat if possible. Heat is a factor for growth and molting. These are large scorpions and you will hear recommendations on large tanks (10 gallons plus). They spend the bulk of their life in a the hide so I think 5 gallon enclosures are fine for a single species. Lighting is another topic with controversy. I have lights on timers to try to recreate a day/night environment as most inverts are nocturnal. Again, my preference as many keepers do not create light at all. If it is always dark, I compare that to our Las Vegas experience of never knowing when it is time to call it a night and sleep. I feed my scorpions once a week. They do not need more than that but if you really enjoy feeding, twice a week is okay. Hope that helps?
    ALD likes this.
  5. ALD

ALD Active Member

Yes! Thank you.
    I was hoping I could avoid a heat pad. The lowest the room gets it would be in is 70. It's the same room as my Ts and hermit crabs.
  6. Denny Dee

You would probably get by okay. These are hardy scorps. Will definitely grow slower. Just make sure the humidity if correct. Having a temp and a humidity issue would not be good.
    ALD likes this.