• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Banded Crickets

Denny Dee

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello,

I received a free batch of Banded Crickets (Gryllodes sigliatus) at a show last weekend. They are shorter than the standard crickets that I normally feed my inverts. They do have very long antennae which can be less desirable for web feeders as the crickets can detect the webs before they crawl into it. But overall, they look healthy and are the perfect size for some of my specimens.

However, they do seem faster and possibly more aggressive. I have one in an Assassin bug tank and they are freaking out a little. The cricket seems to be displaying threat posture.

Does anyone have any experience feeding this particular species of cricket? Pros and Cons welcome. Thanks.

Prudance

3 Year Member
The banded crickets are what our local mom and pop pet store sells, so we use them quite often. They sell the banded crickets because they are hardier than the house crickets other pet stores sell. That is they can tolerate cooler temps and are more resistant to diseases. We noticed that they are definitely faster, more aggressive and more cautious.

I don't have assassin bugs so I can't speak to feeding them. The T's however have to work a little harder to catch this little buggers which can make for some interesting shows. Our reptiles won't even touch the crickets anymore though. I do know someone who's reptile was killed because the crickets stared breading in the tank, so be careful of that for you assassin bugs.

Latest posts