• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bald spot

paulcfc

This has probably been asked before but my b smithi has had a for want of a better word bald arse for going on 6 months.Is this normal?

Attachments

• 20220502_231637[2064].jpg
    20220502_231637[2064].jpg
    679.8 KB · Views: 12

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This has probably been asked before but my b smithi has had a for want of a better word bald arse for going on 6 months.Is this normal?

It's normal. They do this when they are disturbed. They rub the setae off their abdomen as a deterrent to anything that may be bothering it. A breeze, prey or even handling can cause them to do it. Also, right before they molt, they will lay a mat of this setae down on top of their webbing....I'm not sure if it's for extra "cushion" or what but I've witnessed it quite a few times, myself. The bald spot isn't dark, yet so it may not be too close to a molt. Time will tell. No need for alarm.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
As Casey K pointed out it could be the T is reacting to something in its environment, so maybe try and think what could be causing it, then avoiding that thing.

Then again it could be part of the natural progression of the stages of moulting.

Then again, tarantulas can be goofy and you just don't know what or why they are doing that. I suspect mine are just trying to screw with my head.

paulcfc

Well a ,month and half and the arse is getting fat to burst...but no moulting as yet.

Attachments

• 20220620_232219[2610].jpg
    20220620_232219[2610].jpg
    1,002.8 KB · Views: 10

paulcfc

looked into the tank and nothing i think could make her nervous...only taken her out today to take pics.....just let nature take its course i suppose.

Latest posts