• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bald patch

Fangtastic

Hi.
Newbie here so please be kind.
Please help.
I have rescued a T recently 5 year old Female and it was quite skittish when I got it and looked like it had been trapped or squashed in a drawer it was been kept in. It had a mark on the top of its Abdomen and it was straight not like it had been flicking though.

Its Molted a while ago. Its really chilled now since I got it and have discovered its got a small mark on the top of its abdomen but much better than before and can hardly see it now, but its got a bald patch around its bottom so wondering if its normal or should I get it checked at the Vets because I dont like to think it might be in pain.

Thanks
Fran

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Pictures please...hard to diagnose a problem without one. Vets will just take your money...they cant do anything more then you can. Invertebrates dont feel pain.

Fangtastic

Here is an underside photo.
Amazingly she doesn't mind being inverted!
It doesn't look very nice but she is eating and out and about most of the time.
She had laid a web trap to catch food I imagine so Spinners are working fine. Its the bald spot I'm worried about (please see first post).
Thank you :)

Hemolymph

3 Year Member
No the vets are just going to charge you money for doing nothing. I think it’s a cyst or a old injury that should go away on its next molt. Tarantulas don’t suffer they don’t feel pain like mammals

Fangtastic

Is that T wild caught?
No the vets are just going to charge you money for doing nothing. I think it’s a cyst or a old injury that should go away on its next molt. Tarantulas don’t suffer they don’t feel pain like mammals
When I bought it, it was in a bit of a poor state. The man had it in an open plastic top drawer I thought it looked like it had been trapped so thats probably it.

She has eaten yesterday and today and been out wandering about in her enclosure and climbing on top of hide so she seems ok?

Thanks to you and others for your help.
I really dont know what to do but care as best I can for this amazing creature.

Last edited:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Parasitic first came to my mind...could be a ulcer, cyst, or scar tissue. All those things will remedy themselves in one way or another. The spider isnt suffering though...should molt out of it though unless its parasitic. Honestly a vet is going to charge alot of money for nothing... :confused:

Fangtastic

Parasitic first came to my mind...could be a ulcer, cyst, or scar tissue. All those things will remedy themselves in one way or another. The spider isnt suffering though...should molt out of it though unless its parasitic. Honestly a vet is going to charge alot of money for nothing... :confused:
Could be Parasitic as it was in with lots of different animals etc....!?

Last edited:

Fangtastic

Could be Parasitic as it was in a Garage with lots of different animals including Meerkats and Snakes and Bullfrog etc....!?
Just molted 2 weeks ago and thats when I noticed it had got worse.
It had a mark on the top of its Abdomen and it didnt look like hair flicking and its never flicked since I had it.
Its so chilled out now since I had it for a while its amazing never bothers when Im changing the water like it used to..