• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Bad Molt For P. rufilata

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I have two ornata and two rufilata. This rufilata is the largest and last to molt. The other three have all molted at least once and all went perfectly. This one is set up in a Nano Tall, 8x8x12". It has a cork round, a few plastic plant pieces, and dry coco coir for substrate. Water dish is a cap on the ground.

I haven't seen much of this one for a couple of weeks and I figured it was down in the hole doing its molting thing. It seems I was right, but something went wrong. Several of the legs are horribly disfigured. I can't tell if its retained molt or just disfigured new material.
IMG_7118.JPG

IMG_7120.JPG

I've never experienced this problem before. Anyone have any insight for me? Did I do something wrong? Cork round too small and this happened because it molted while inside the cork round? Too dry? Water bowl on the ground?

This enclosure had some weird yellow fungus growing on the substrate a while back, but I removed it all and it didn't come back.

All three of my other Poecilotheria are doing great and giving me perfect molts, but they are in smaller AMAC boxes which I'm certain are more humid inside. Ambient humidity in the room is generally 40-50%.

Open to any explantation or insight. I want to learn what went wrong to prevent it in the future, and also what I should do now. Will these molt out next time and be back to normal if the problem is discovered and corrected?

ArdorAphonopelma

3 Year Member
I'd say the hide was probably small, other than that as long as she can walk she should be fine, I say should because If the legs bother her then she'll probably drop them, at that point if she does then you'll have to take of her till she regrows them.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Internal moisture in the spider...didn't have enough fluid to pump between the old and new exo skeleton. Spiders are experts at molting in tight spaces...not the problem here. You can lead a spider to water but you cant make him drink...​

Should I hot glue a water bowl up high in the cage? Did this happen because he only had a water bowl down low on the ground?

Most importantly, will the legs grow back normally on the next molt if hydration improves?

I stopped spraying the cage when the yellow mushroom fungus stuff popped up. Prior to that, I would give the side of the cage and plants a spritz a couple times a week.

Logan D

3 Year Member
Should I hot glue a water bowl up high in the cage? Did this happen because he only had a water bowl down low on the ground?

Most importantly, will the legs grow back normally on the next molt if hydration improves?

I stopped spraying the cage when the yellow mushroom fungus stuff popped up. Prior to that, I would give the side of the cage and plants a spritz a couple times a week.
Honeslty i only own pokies at this givin time i have all water dishes on the ground level and have caught them drinking out of the water dish i would honeslty rehouse her and give her all new sub since your having the fungus problem

Logan D

3 Year Member
This p.regalis just molted and after the molt i found him drinking out of the water dish
20181121_213835.jpg

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Honeslty i only own pokies at this givin time i have all water dishes on the ground level and have caught them drinking out of the water dish i would honeslty rehouse her and give her all new sub since your having the fungus problem
I removed the yellow fungus and stopped spraying the cage, and it did not return. But you make a good point. No reason to not just make up a new batch of coir and replace the old stuff. This spider has pooped all over the glass, and I see it out almost every night, so it should have been able to find the water bowl just fine. Room humidity has been 40-60%, so not too low.

Logan D

3 Year Member
With adults i mist once a week where as with juvies i mist twice a week same for slings if they refuse food i will mist more cause that usually means an upcoming molt

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member

I have water dishes high and low in my pokie cages and I dont really think it matters as long as they have one. I've seen them drink from both. Yes it should molt out of it fine. I have had a few Ts that this is a constant problem which ultimately lead to their demise. Hopefully your is just a fluke occurence. However you can try to help it out. Big fat hornworms are packed with 85% moisture in them. They lack in protein so I would feed the worms heavily closer to the end of its next molting cycle...before it stops eating.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I have water dishes high and low in my pokie cages and I dont really think it matters as long as they have one. I've seen them drink from both. Yes it should molt out of it fine. I have had a few Ts that this is a constant problem which ultimately lead to their demise. Hopefully your is just a fluke occurence. However you can try to help it out. Big fat hornworms are packed with 85% moisture in them. They lack in protein so I would feed the worms heavily closer to the end of its next molting cycle...before it stops eating.
Thanks man. I'll order up some hornworms.

Something I'm noticing on my pokies is that their abdomens don't seem to fatten up as much as some other species, even when they are eating good. Does that sound right? Or do I need to fatten them up some more? They've been eating three species of gut loaded roaches. B. lateralis, dubia, and lobster roaches.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Pokies abdomens shouldn't look like terrestrial Ts. They should have a more slender appearance. They are arboreal so they need to stay more agile. I feed mine 2 large red runner roaches every 2-3 weeks.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Update: This guy molted and it looks like he's dropped off the bad legs and re-grown them correctly. Perhaps someone with better eyes than me can get a good count, but it looks like he's got at least 6-7 good legs? I'll try to get a better pic when I catch him out of his log and all stretched out.
IMG_8073.JPG

IMG_8069.JPG

Latest posts