• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Baby Trinidad Chevron not hungry?

spider4747

3 Year Member
It chowed on crickets the beginning of last month but hasn't bothered ever since. i added a little bit of sphagnum to the enclosure. No molts either. The sling has a tendancy to build a thick wall of dirt and webs around itself and crickets can't get in there unless I use tweezers. Did this and still no eating.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Make sure it always has water and offer food every week until it take it. It will take it when its hungry. i wouldnt worry until u start going into months instead of weeks.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I removed them. I got a separate tupperware enclosure for crickets that seems to work
So i'm confused, or at least i hope I am. You're breaking down the protection the spider has built to get away from the crickets and the world, and storing all of your crickets in the enclosure with the T, or were? o_O

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
yeah u should have a separate enclosure for the crickets anyway and only drop in one at a time to see if he eats and if not remove it. U were keeping all the crickets in there with the spider?

spider4747

3 Year Member
for a few days but she wasn't eating them. her last hide is destroyed but shes already made a new one... Yeah she might be somewhat stressed but shes been left unobserved for a while in a corner of a shelf. I think shes not too disappointed.

Shes of the sort that likes to build a cave around her climbing wall.

Nobody knows if this is male or female though. safe bets 'most born' are females but I don't know that.

Attachments

• trinidadchevron.png
    trinidadchevron.png
    351.2 KB · Views: 28

swimbait

3 Year Member
Dude, I told you over a month ago not to keep food in the enclosure at all times. So not only did you store crickets in the cage, you were destroying your tarantulas web so they could get in!?!?! Spiders aren't dumb, they know what they're doing. At NO time will you need to intervene to get your spider to eat. Do you read through random threads on forums to get a better idea of what you are doing in this hobby? I'm honestly having a difficult time understanding why you would think destroying the spiders web was a good idea? It was fully aware there were crickets in there with it. Please do some more research. Your spider is in pre molt. You aren't guaranteed to see a molt either when it does molt, it may keep it in the cave

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dude, I told you over a month ago not to keep food in the enclosure at all times. So not only did you store crickets in the cage, you were destroying your tarantulas web so they could get in!?!?! Spiders aren't dumb, they know what they're doing. At NO time will you need to intervene to get your spider to eat. Do you read through random threads on forums to get a better idea of what you are doing in this hobby? I'm honestly having a difficult time understanding why you would think destroying the spiders web was a good idea? It was fully aware there were crickets in there with it. Please do some more research. Your spider is in pre molt. You aren't guaranteed to see a molt either when it does molt, it may keep it in the cave
I thought that enclosure looked familiar :( No ventilation, Crickets in the enclosure all the time, I feel sad for that T.

swimbait

3 Year Member
I guess these posts from me and chubbs on his other thread meant nothing to him. Not sure how one could read posts like that and still make the conscious decision to go against the advice given. Makes you wonder if they are even worth trying to help, why waste time on someone who's going to disregard info given to them by more experienced keepers. To be honest, this is the first time I have read of somebody admittingly destroying their tarantulas web so that a prey item can access them when they went out of their way to make themselves unaccesible...truly baffling

Yes they can pose a pretty serious threat to a molting or recently molted tarantula (or any invertebrate for that matter). This is why every book/hobbyist/just about every source out there will tell you to remove uneaten prey items and never to leave crickets or mealworms in with a tarantula that is molting. Crickets are omnivorous and will munch on a molting tarantula. When tarantulas molt they are extremely vulnerable and completely defenseless. Even for a while afterwards, their exoskeleton is still soft, as are their fangs, therefore they cannot use them to defend themselves. This is like very very basic stuff dude. I highly advise you do some more research on general tarantula care before buying more of them.

Yes. Horrible actually. You are putting your tarantula in danger by leaving them in there at all times. Chubbs pretty much just explained why. Extremely vulnerable while molting, a few crickets could easily kill them, or cause serious damage. This really is the basics of the basics, I don't want to get on you again for minimal research but come on man. Next thing your gonna tell us is you have cricket cubes or a sponge in the water bowl...

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Is that enclosure just a plastic container with a ceramic pot on top? Doesn't look secure.
If i recall it's a large glass container with a flower pot as the "lid" and a hole or 2 he drilled in it with a knife.
Or ventilated. Not sure where the 90 plus holes are he claimed to have added in yet another thread
Must be in the top of the flower pot that we can't see in the pic where they do a lot of good ;)