• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

mak_manning3

Hey guys! So I'm new to the hobby and I'm super interested in the brachypelma vagans. I am currently on the search for an adult male or female (preferably female but I won't be picky). If any of you could please help me find a reliable site to purchase one or if one of you have one and would be willing to ship to Georgia, that would be AWESOME! I've also considered purchasing a B. vagans sling so I could watch and appreciate the entire process but as a beginner this makes me a bit nervous.. I can also be a bit impatient as I have read that they grow relatively slow. Any advice would be appreciated just in case I decide to go this route and any insights on what I can expect as far as growth rate would be much appreciated!

Huntzman90

3 Year Member
Hello and welcome ☺

Yes what Lawrence said!

I have only been in the hobby 10 months and started with a B. Albo sling. I now have four T's all purchased as slings, two are now juveniles. I must say I have enjoyed watching them grow.. Its been quite an exciting experience. I got into the hobby because I wanted to learn as much as possible about tarantulas and I think this is a great way.

But yes some species, especially brachys, can grow really slow. This is why I think alot of people want to start with an adult. If you do go for an adult deffinitely look for a female, they may be more expensive but its because a mature male will typically not last very long.

Keep us updated and feel free to ask any questions. This is a great forum and can be very helpful. There are some very knowledgeable and experienced keepers here that seem more than happy to help us noobs

RonC

3 Year Member
Start with a sling about an inch dls. They are large enough to not be delicate but still get to watch them grow. Don't let the slow growing put you off. Good choice.

SikmT7

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I have 4 Brachypelmas but never had a Vagans, but I would recommend them as beginner T, I have done much research on them and they are slow growers and have great appetites. Females can live 20-25 years so definitely agree with @Lawrence b . A good size to start with would be 1.5-2.5 inches in leg span as slings can be very delicate and can easily be lost if you don't have the proper security for them, (most keepers keep their slings in vials, that's how tiny they are). When I got my B. hamorii over 3 years ago she was 2 inches just entering juvenile life stage and now she has only grown 1 inch in that amount of time. B vagans is a great start my friend, do your research to learn further about their husbandry set up. I reccomend Tom Patterson he is a great vendor on the forum here and also Fear Not Tarantulas, Swift's Invertebrates, Jamie's Tarantulas, just to name a few. Look at the Vendor reviews thread here and also the For Sale thread, you can post a wanted ad in the Wanted Thread as well. God bless!

Gagambaboi

Hi I just got my Vagans last month at 1 inch. It refuses food, throws threat postures. That's about it. I think it's in premolt... But I'm pretty clueless about it. Anyone willing to help me shed some light?

Attachments

• IMG20200724212804.jpg
    IMG20200724212804.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 25

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi I just got my Vagans last month at 1 inch. It refuses food, throws threat postures. That's about it. I think it's in premolt... But I'm pretty clueless about it. Anyone willing to help me shed some light?

Definitely in premolt. You see that round black patch on its abdomen? Eventually, the entire abdomen will turn completely black. Just mist one area of the enclosure and make sure your temps are between 75-80°f and it will molt. Heat and humidity will trigger it. :)

Latest posts