• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. smithi or B. auratum?

Basing on this photo, what do you think?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Guys, please help me, once and for all, rest this dilemma in peace.

Here are the photos:

Your votes are greatly appreciated. Thank you. :)

Fuzzball79

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think that this is actually an Auratum. To me it looks darker than a B. Smithi. Lucky you!

Thistles

3 Year Member
You generally can't ID to a species level just on the basis of pictures. That said, I think it will take a few more molts for the coloration to develop completely. The brightness of the patella does look like B. auratum, but hybrid is still on the table.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It could either be a somewhat recently molted smithi or a younger auratum. A mature B.auratum has very distinct red markings on the legs and is pretty easy to tell apart from smithi. If it is auratum it's definitely a younger one that hasn't developed the full colors yet. From the pictures though, it looks like it could be smithi. Then there's always that possibility of it being a hybrid.

micheldied

3 Year Member
The patella markings are different from any B. smithi I've seen. I'm going to have to say an underdeveloped B. auratum, or a hybrid.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Now that you mention it, I believe you're right..annitha.
I'm not seeing it as b. annitha. Not that i've ever seen one, but the pics i've looked at all have an orange/black cephalo, and the smithi/auratum have a light brown and black cephalo.

Thistles

3 Year Member
Not seeing Brachypelma annitha. You bought it as a B. smithi, so I guess either he gave you a mutt or he mislabeled something. I would still wait a few more molts to see how things develop before drawing any conclusions though.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Thanks for the response everyone!

@Thistles Your're right, I have just to wait for a couple more molts. Before delving into the hybridization business, I may first venture that this T may just have been mislabeled and one honest mistake if indeed it is an auratum.

Smithi or auratum does not really matter to me since I am a newbie T keeper. I would like to experience them both. It's just that what started this on was when I was staring at it and just noticed that it is somewhat different from smithi pictures that I have seen from the net.

Latest posts