• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. smithi not eating~

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
No worries. I like to hear of others experiences and learn from their mistakes rather than make my own. "Ounce of prevention" prevents the pound of cure Maxim. Besides, if the Ts hunt instinct is exercised, maybe it helps keep them from boredom.....my theory. However, in perhaps special circumstances, you use tongs too?
2:00+ mark
Your a idiot...he clearly didn't take them from the tongs. I dropped it when he rushed it.
Maybe you should stick to things you know like crappy old movies.

Last edited:
I was trying to be kind in spite of your insults. For a clown, you don't have a very good sense of humor.
"Crappy movies".....yes they are.
Just trying to bring a little fun and levity to the over serious attitudes that I see once in a while. Maybe we will have a series on serious crappy clown movies one month.....IT, the John Wayne Gay-Z story......Killer Clowns from Outer Space? Your theme music would certainly match.

NOW I SEE where a T could get a chipped toofer.....2:05 where the T grabs the food in the far right of the screen.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I was trying to be kind in spite of your insults. For a clown, you don't have a very good sense of humor.
"Crappy movies".....yes they are.
Just trying to bring a little fun and levity to the over serious attitudes that I see once in a while. Maybe we will have a series on serious crappy clown movies one month.....IT, the John Wayne Gay-Z story......Killer Clowns from Outer Space? Your theme music would certainly match.

NOW I SEE where a T could get a chipped toofer.....2:05 where the T grabs the food in the far right of the screen.
Looked like you were trying to call me out on something that wasn't true. I mean you had to really dig to find that old video. Kinda creepy.... You caught me at a bad time/week in my life. I truly apologize for my rudeness. :beer:

I didn't dig. I somehow went straight to it. Just saw how you've been into the hobby and have a good basis of experience.

I read one of my comments earlier and noticed that I used my platforms emoticons instead of the website's. They didn't post, so my tongue in cheek comment came across wrong. It would've pd off anybody. My bad.

You do know more about Ts than me. I'll try to remember your info on metal instruments busting fangs. The last time I went to the dentist, over 10 years ago, he got on me about that too. Not about Ts. I was doing my own dentistry on myself. I should be cautious recommending those to new pet owners. I'd hate to see ItsukinoKira's accidentally break it's fangs too.
No worries. :beer:

D Cooksey

Until people have to nurse a spider for 10-12 months with no fangs they will still think tong feeding is cool. :cool:
Every spider should have a wine glass though...:)

How did you nurse the spider? My spider shed her skin in August while I was away and i came to realise that she didn't shed her fangs. So her new fangs are inside the old ones I presume. I only noticed when i realised she wasn't feeding. So it's been nearly 3 months without food. I'm making sure the tank has water and she seems to be doing OK, but I'm wondering if i will have to feed her at some point and as I don't normally handle her I'm not keen on doing it unless i have to. What would i use for food? How would i do it?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
How did you nurse the spider? My spider shed her skin in August while I was away and i came to realise that she didn't shed her fangs. So her new fangs are inside the old ones I presume. I only noticed when i realised she wasn't feeding. So it's been nearly 3 months without food. I'm making sure the tank has water and she seems to be doing OK, but I'm wondering if i will have to feed her at some point and as I don't normally handle her I'm not keen on doing it unless i have to. What would i use for food? How would i do it?
Well she can't bite you... :D If your 100% positive she lost her fangs just grab her. I just pinch grab them and feed them with a oral syringe (no needle). You have to grind up her prey into soup (i perfer superworms but anything works) and suck it up into the syringe. Sometimes you can get lucky and they will feed off a shallow plate. I perfer to pinch grab them because they can make a mess eating off the plate.

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
The t may not like being on the tree bark. Might not hurt to just go with straight coco or organic top soil

Hello again!
Finally I was able to go to go to Petco and change the substrate to peat moss, hope it's a good change.

Sometimes it curls up or is super slow and scares me :c probably just newbie reactions.

Here some pics c:

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 16.31.20 (1).jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 16.31.20 (1).jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 22
  • WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 16.31.20.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-23 at 16.31.20.jpeg
    73.2 KB · Views: 22

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Helloooo!!

This is why it scares meee and it doesn't want to move :C
It can though, I touch it gently with a brush just to check... maybe because of the cold? It's getting chillier recently.

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2020-10-24 at 09.10.24.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2020-10-24 at 09.10.24.jpeg
    103 KB · Views: 22

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi what is the temperature in your room?
Also do you keep substrate dry?
Sling that small loses moisture quickly.Untill it shows some adult colours I think you should keep part of the substrate moist
Regards Konstantin

+1

Keep a thermometer next to Momo's terrarium. I don't know what is happening either, but this picture is concerning.

You have some good recommendations I think. If Momo were mine, I would not be concerned about food very much, but do whatever I could to eliminate stress. Along with that is proper humidity, moisture, environment, etc. You can't control and correct the health of an animal/tarantula like you can the things that lead to healing. You can do what you can to make it as likely for recovery and healing as possible. This also includes eliminating the unknowns.

Expl.
My ex girlfriend's B.s. was a very healthy young adult FM. When she worked outside of her home, she decided to bring her to her office. It stayed on her desk and appeared well for months. Then she started noticing signs of stress. She didn't know why. She had developed a bald spot, etc. I suggested that it could be the janitor after hours trying to get her to respond and move by banging on the tank, etc. The best thing would be for her to get it back to her house and keep her cats in a separate room.

I have no idea. Here's some suggestions of potentially stressful things to eliminate from Momo's room/environment. These aren't necessarily what is happening, but possibilities that you can maybe eliminate.

1. Pets, ie. Can be curious and get in its face like a giant "monster.". Not likely an issue, but wouldn't hurt to keep them separate for now.
2. Family members friends. If you have a little brother/bother who has curious friends who want to check Momo out when you aren't around. Little boys are bad about catching bugs and shaking containers to make them crawl, or lightning bugs to light up, etc.
3. Direct Sunshine through a window can drastically increase the temperature of a closed container in minutes. Certain time of day, perhaps it's like an oven?...
4. Air conditioner blowing on it's house is the other extreme. When your house gets hot, the AC might kick on and ask yourself if it blows directly on the location. Solution is to move it to a comfortable place where YOU are always comfortable 24/7. B.s. usually like our comfort range.
5. Sprays....etc. Arresol hair spray in a nearby bathroom can poison it. Air fresheners too. The smell of spray, plug ins, deodorizer sticks is the off gassing of chemicals. Look for these possibilities.
6. Music. Some of us like to listen to loud music. We don't always think about this. They are stressed by heavy constant vibrations.
7. High traffic areas. If children are in your house playing near the terrarium, a hide "box" might not be enough.
8. Substrate. Could it have mold, contaminants, fungicides or pesticides? Lots of us have killed some treasured plants because I didn't know that the bagged soil was from a place that used herbicides. You can sometimes smell mold when you sniff the inside of the container. That can be toxic too.
IF Momo just started this curling right after the substrate/bedding was changed, I'd go with a different one that you are certain is OK right now....today. Who knows if the feed issue and the curl are related? Maybe...
This later development is more concerning.
If you clean the container and decide to replace the bedding, use vinegar to wipe it down real well. Use a rag that has been washed and not used for furniture polish or anything else. Rinse thoroughly inside and out. Vinegar works good to get rid of most chemicals and mold. Smell the inside of the container. It's usually not an issue , but on the rare occasion some plastic containers have serious chemicals that can not be washed off. They all have plasticizers that are chemicals that make plastic flexible. If you can smell it, it's probably bad for Momo. If you can't smell it, I don't worry about it. Replace with a good one accordingly. It wouldn't hurt and might help. If so, glass is good, IF a screen escape proof top can be fastened. I've used rimmed fish bowls before. Round side, flat front with a flared lip opening. Cut a Piece of white "sheer" curtain material draped on top held in place with three rubber bands (or cord + rubber band).... because rubber bands will eventually break. You can buy a one foot piece of sheer at any fabric store. It's also what a bride's wedding veil is made of. This works very well and your Momo's hide place, bottle cap water dish..... You're doing the best that you can.

I would print this page out or right down these points and set it next to the cage. Then check off each one as you go. This might make it easier to keep track of than referring to this forum post.
Hope this helps.

There's only one other thing that I can think of.....

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
Now I'm officially concerned. It's not moving normal if I touch her with a brush.
I have her substrate moist where the water dish is and misted it more now so it has more water close where it is.

I've put a heater in my room to keep the whole place warmer, hope it works. I don't know if the substrate change could be stressful for it :(

Attachments

• IMG_20201024_145813.jpg
    IMG_20201024_145813.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 22

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
your spider looks in a bad way.
When tarantulas are dehydrated they cant move even a little bit to have a drink.
You need to act now !!! If it is curled like that and not responding.This is death curl not stress posture.
I will suggest puting its mouth over the water dish so fangs are in the water.
Observe it if it dont improve in few hours flip it over and drop a drop of water on its mouth (just beneath the fangs)You will have to hold it in place few seconds before you release it or it may roll off.
Also make sure half of the substrate is moist all the way to the bottom.
I kept my B boehmei on fully moist substrate till it went about 1.5 inch in size it did no harm.

ItsukinoKira

3 Year Member
I would do as @Konstantin says.....or put it in an ICU.

Had to go outside today because of a family matter but checked her as soon as I arrived and found her like that, still moving.

Put her in ICU as I found I should on internet, hope it's ok and helps her :c

I'll keep mi room warm and an eye on her for some hours.

Attachments

• IMG-20201025-WA0001.jpeg
    IMG-20201025-WA0001.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 20
  • IMG_20201025_010523.jpg
    IMG_20201025_010523.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 19

Latest posts