1. Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.Smithi first molt!

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by Adrock, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Adrock

Adrock New Member

Hi everyone! Love all the info on this forum; happy to be a part! New to having a tarantula (3-4 months now) and my Mexican Red Knee (who I guessed was about a year old when we got him/her based on size) has finally molted! Beautiful colors are back! BUT the exoskeleton still seems to be stuck to my T's rear... I know I shouldn't bother him right now (it's been about 10 hours since the molt), but is there anyone else who has seen this? I'm sure he'll get the rest off eventually.... I'm eager to get it out so I can finally know the sex!
    Dave Jay likes this.
  2. Enn49

Enn49 Moderator Staff Member 3 Year Member 1,000+ Post Club

Hi, congrats on you 1st moult. Is your T moving around yet? Sometimes if you can get hold of the old exo with tweezers the T will often pull away from it and get rid of the bit that's stuck. The alternative is to use a soft, moist brush and gently ease it off.
    Arachnoclown and Dave Jay like this.
  3. Tortoise Tom

Tortoise Tom Well-Known Member

Hello and welcome. We'd love to see pic of those beautiful colors.

Carefully misting the enclosure to temporarily raise humidity might help remove the old stuff a bit too. I generally dampen the substrate, mist, and raise humidity when molting is imminent.
    Arachnoclown and Dave Jay like this.
  4. Adrock

Adrock New Member

Thanks for the help! I'll for sure remember those for the next molt. It took about 20 hours but the exo finally completely came off. It was so dry at this point that I couldn't be 100% sure on the sex but so far, I'm going to have to go with Male. :-( Still love you "Rogue"! He's hiding in his log now but I'll get some new pics soon!
    Dave Jay likes this.
  5. LC72uk

LC72uk Moderator Staff Member

Welcome to the Group Adrock............LC72UK:):T:
  6. Dave Jay

Dave Jay Well-Known Member

Welcome!
    I had the same thing with a sling that moulted in transit, just holding the moult and letting the spider pull itself free worked for me too.
    Arachnoclown likes this.
  7. Arachnoclown

Arachnoclown Well-Known Member

Wet paint brush and some tweezers usually work well. You want to make sure the anus isn't blocked. This could lead to further problems down the road if it old exo hardens to the new.
    Dave Jay likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted