• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.Smithi first molt!

Adrock

Hi everyone! Love all the info on this forum; happy to be a part! New to having a tarantula (3-4 months now) and my Mexican Red Knee (who I guessed was about a year old when we got him/her based on size) has finally molted! Beautiful colors are back! BUT the exoskeleton still seems to be stuck to my T's rear... I know I shouldn't bother him right now (it's been about 10 hours since the molt), but is there anyone else who has seen this? I'm sure he'll get the rest off eventually.... I'm eager to get it out so I can finally know the sex!

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi, congrats on you 1st moult. Is your T moving around yet? Sometimes if you can get hold of the old exo with tweezers the T will often pull away from it and get rid of the bit that's stuck. The alternative is to use a soft, moist brush and gently ease it off.

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
Hello and welcome. We'd love to see pic of those beautiful colors.

Carefully misting the enclosure to temporarily raise humidity might help remove the old stuff a bit too. I generally dampen the substrate, mist, and raise humidity when molting is imminent.

Adrock

Thanks for the help! I'll for sure remember those for the next molt. It took about 20 hours but the exo finally completely came off. It was so dry at this point that I couldn't be 100% sure on the sex but so far, I'm going to have to go with Male. :-( Still love you "Rogue"! He's hiding in his log now but I'll get some new pics soon!

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wet paint brush and some tweezers usually work well. You want to make sure the anus isn't blocked. This could lead to further problems down the road if it old exo hardens to the new.

Calico

3 Year Member
Thanks for the help! I'll for sure remember those for the next molt. It took about 20 hours but the exo finally completely came off. It was so dry at this point that I couldn't be 100% sure on the sex but so far, I'm going to have to go with Male. :-( Still love you "Rogue"! He's hiding in his log now but I'll get some new pics soon!

Congratulations on your first molt! I remember when mine first molted, exciting!! When I was finally able to retrieve the molt, it, too, was dried up. Getting advice from these guys, I was told to get a wet q-tip or small drop of water and it will rehydrate it and gently spread it out. Worked for me. Good luck!!

Latest posts