• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B Smithi fanging acrylic tank

Justine

We keep catching our tarantula Eric cartman chewing on it’s tank in a variety of locations. Is our pet testing the sturdiness of its enclosure or is it just something they do? I am not going to lie it makes me nervous that a fang could become injured or it could injure a human? Eric Cartman is also rearranging substrate than proceeds to hang out on the wall with the low temp heating pad. We used a paint brush to move Eric but he just lets us brush his legs and doesn’t move. I will say Eric Cartman is a good eater.... he is a big fan of crickets. Any similar experiences with this species?

Attachments

• 192D318E-E4A7-4F74-8E8A-EC4BCE09F3F7.jpeg
    192D318E-E4A7-4F74-8E8A-EC4BCE09F3F7.jpeg
    714.4 KB · Views: 41

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Hi
Not quite sure myself.
I had my LP adult chew the enclosure and injure a fang after a rehouse.Possibly fang was stuck during fall as vents are on the lid.The height was not more than 1.5 spider DLS too.It did not brake but dislocated and is hanging now since December.There were two lines of spider blood (sorry the word just pop out of my headl now)on the side of the enclosure starting from the nibble marks.She still manages to eat atm.
Here is a pic of my goofy LP.lol
20191228_111145.jpg

My new A genic female had a go at chewing too for the first few weeks too.No injury yet tho.
It must be something they do when they are unsettled
Regards Konstantin

Justine

The thought that my tarantula is unsettled makes me sad. We are trying to promote a lovely environment but we didn’t raise him from a sling. So we are note sure what he is use too. I was on the fence about having a tarantula as a pet but now we are obsessed with him. We spend so much time just sitting and watching him. Now I can’t imagine life without him. . I am glad to hear that other tarantula family’s are also seeing this behavior. I guess we will just wait and see. ❤️ Thank you

E

ExMember

My guess would be that it in fact is looking for an escape route. They are escape artists :)

My G pulchripes did this along the lid of its new tank for a while. Maybe a week or two. Probing for openings. So did my B baumgarteni.

On the other hand...my Pterinopelma sazimai juvie would climb upside down on the lid and try and get it's fangs through the airholes everytime I watered it. I use a syringe and feed water through the airholes. It would go to the one closest to my hand! I think it was trying to bite but who knows!;)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Wants out...theres many reasons for this behavior.
Substrate too wet
Substrate too dry
Too little substrate
Not enough humidity
Too much humidity
Looking for a mate
Not enough ventilation
Too much ventilation
Wants to eat your cat
Looking for food
Strange humans staring
Doesnt like the smell of cooked garlic
Doesnt like its enclosure
Wants to sharpen its fangs to bite your toe
Ect.... ;)

Last edited:
E

ExMember

Substrate too wet
Substrate too dry
Too little substrate
Not enough humidity
Too much humidity
Looking for a mate
Wants to eat your cat
Looking for food
Strange humans staring
Ect.... ;)

Yep!

Justine

Hi
Not quite sure myself.
I had my LP adult chew the enclosure and injure a fang after a rehouse.Possibly fang was stuck during fall as vents are on the lid.The height was not more than 1.5 spider DLS too.It did not brake but dislocated and is hanging now since December.There were two lines of spider blood (sorry the word just pop out of my headl now)on the side of the enclosure starting from the nibble marks.She still manages to eat atm.
Here is a pic of my goofy LP.lol
View attachment 43696
My new A genic female had a go at chewing too for the first few weeks too.No injury yet tho.
It must be something they do when they are unsettled
Regards Konstantin
Is that the gang that’s hanging?
Substrate too wet
Substrate too dry
Too little substrate
Not enough humidity
Too much humidity
Looking for a mate
Not enough ventilation
Too much ventilation
Wants to eat your cat
Looking for food
Strange humans staring
Ect.... ;)
strange humans staring....that’s us

Jess S

1,000+ Post Club
How long has it been going on for? My Brachypelma auratum sling did the same when I first had it. At times it seemed like it was systematically going from airhole to airhole checking for weakness, exploring each with its little fangs, then poking and waving a leg through, then chewing again before giving up then onto the next. I remember feeling as worried as you, and I admit to starting to think of it as an ungrateful spoilt little upstart! Lol. Few weeks later, it totally calmed down and doesn't do any of that anymore. It's actually probably my calmest sling now, atm anyway! :)

Konstantin

3 Year Member
Is that the gang that’s hanging?

strange humans staring....that’s us
Yes thats the damaged fang.It is dangling free to what I can see as she can't fold it back but when she is pushing it towards something(cork bark hide,side of enclosure) goes in place .I thought it will be cast at some point by now but she is taking her time.
As I said she eats with the other one so not too worried.Waiting the molt so hopefully it will be fixed.
Regards Konstantin

E

ExMember

Yes thats the damaged fang.It is dangling free to what I can see as she can't fold it back but when she is pushing it towards something(cork bark hide,side of enclosure) goes in place .I thought it will be cast at some point by now but she is taking her time.
As I said she eats with the other one so not too worried.Waiting the molt so hopefully it will be fixed.
Regards Konstantin

Good luck with the tarantula!

Justine

How long has it been going on for? My Brachypelma auratum sling did the same when I first had it. At times it seemed like it was systematically going from airhole to airhole checking for weakness, exploring each with its little fangs, then poking and waving a leg through, then chewing again before giving up then onto the next. I remember feeling as worried as you, and I admit to starting to think of it as an ungrateful spoilt little upstart! Lol. Few weeks later, it totally calmed down and doesn't do any of that anymore. It's actually probably my calmest sling now, atm anyway! :)
We have had our B Smithi for only 3 weeks. We also have Chiquita (B Smithi) our sling for a month and a half. Having a teenager tarantula and a baby tarantula is extremely fun and entertaining. I think you may be right and it’s still a new change and Eric Cartman is just adjusting.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
We have several Ts that test the bounds of their enclosures, wandering all over and poking through airholes, but I've never noticed any fanging of surfaces.
How does yours respond to feedings?

Justine

He is such a good eater! All ways eats the crickets. We give him 3 not all at once twice a week. He has a great personality and is always out and about. Just fangs poking out of his home freak me out. I notice a piece of bark chipped away too. Now he is into digging. Never a dull moment.

We have several Ts that test the bounds of their enclosures, wandering all over and poking through airholes, but I've never noticed any fanging of surfaces.
How does yours respond to feedings?

Latest posts