• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.smithi bald abdomen and scittish

Gordon

3 Year Member
Hi everyone I'm new to keeping ts and my first and only t so far is a juvenille b smithi about 2", the first day I got her she seemed so calm and let me hold her with no signs of defensiveness or flicking or running, she has been in her new home for about 3 weeks now and has dug a burrow under her hide and a wall in front of it, also some webbing around the entrance to her home, what I have noticed is she has developed a bald spot on her abdomen which is getting larger, is this normal? I've seen they sometimes do this to mark new territory so hoping this is the case just want to make sure I'm not doing something wrong, she's also not eating like she did the first few days of having her and when she sees me or feels any movement around her viv she darts into her hide scared, this may all be normal but just thought I'd ask incase there's something I should look out for? Thanks for reading

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
She may be coming up to a moult or just making her new home comfortable. The bald spot is due to her kicking hairs which could be just because she's been stressed by the move or it could be a sign of a moult. Most Ts also make a web mat prior to a moult, she may be making one inside her hide, and they often web themselves completely inside the hide to moult. If the bald patch darkens then you'll know there is a moult on its way.
How often are you feeding her? I only feed mine at that size around once a week. Not feeding can be another sign of a moult approaching but if you're feeding more often then she could just be full.

Metalman2004

3 Year Member
Your T is likely bald because it is skittish. Everytime it runs from you it probably kicks a couple of hairs at you too. The hair will be back with the next molt. Also, I concur with @Enn49.

Gordon

3 Year Member
That makes sense I'm assuming she's just decorating her new home, as for feeding I've been trying to offer her 1 medium cricket every 2 days so I must be overfeeding her, I was going on what the shop I got her from told me but clearly they're just looking to sell more crickets, thanks for the help

Latest posts