• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. Hamorii blocking hide

joshcowin

Hi all I received my first T yesterday. It settled in fine and sat in its hide for a bit. I have come back today after work and it has bulldozed substrate blocking itself in its hide. I know it’s a sign of moulting but would it do it so quick 24 hours after I received it? The only thing I can thing of is that the humidity is a little high (I thought the substrate was drier than it is). I don’t want to disturb it if it’s just moulting. Thanks Josh

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi all I received my first T yesterday. It settled in fine and sat in its hide for a bit. I have come back today after work and it has bulldozed substrate blocking itself in its hide. I know it’s a sign of moulting but would it do it so quick 24 hours after I received it? The only thing I can thing of is that the humidity is a little high (I thought the substrate was drier than it is). I don’t want to disturb it if it’s just moulting. Thanks Josh
Hi Josh,
As always it is easier for us to help with a visual support. Would you be able to provide us with a picture of the enclosure as well as the size of your B. hamorii?
I'll be waiting on the picture but I wouldn't stress about it and would most definitely leave it in peace. Settling in a new enclosure might take a little time and rehousing is usually stressful. It is a good sign (at least to me) that it burrowed already and bunkered itself. It might be for a molt or just to feel safe until it'll decide to adventure in the new space or will come out to eat. Please keep in mind that Ts are usually nocturnal and more active at night. Younger specimen also tend to hide a lot more than larger juveniles or adults.
Looking forward to the pictures, cheers.

V

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Patience  (1).jpg

joshcowin

Hi Josh,
As always it is easier for us to help with a visual support. Would you be able to provide us with a picture of the enclosure as well as the size of your B. hamorii?
I'll be waiting on the picture but I wouldn't stress about it and would most definitely leave it in peace. Settling in a new enclosure might take a little time and rehousing is usually stressful. It is a good sign (at least to me) that it burrowed already and bunkered itself. It might be for a molt or just to feel safe until it'll decide to adventure in the new space or will come out to eat. Please keep in mind that Ts are usually nocturnal and more active at night. Younger specimen also tend to hide a lot more than larger juveniles or adults.
Looking forward to the pictures, cheers.

V
Sorry for the poor photo I will try and get a better one tomorrow. So the T is a juvenile and it’s 5cm. What tips would you give to reduce humidity/ moisture from the substrate? Thanks

Attachments

• 55F04D31-EA39-4CDA-AC74-437BBA9F7A62.jpeg
    55F04D31-EA39-4CDA-AC74-437BBA9F7A62.jpeg
    917.8 KB · Views: 28

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This species of T fairs better in a dry environment but at the same time it’ll be fine until the substrate dries out on its own (as long as it is not swampy of course). Make sure the enclosure has plenty of ventilation and it should dry fairly fast in a room around 70 degrees.
Cheers.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Brachypelma is an arid genus, prefers firm dry substrate. Tarantulas will often take several days or more to settle in to new enclosures.

While that's happening take some time to do some research and make sure it's water dish is full of clean water. They are nocturnal and may be out partying while you are not.

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Brachypelma is an arid genus, prefers firm dry substrate. Tarantulas will often take several days or more to settle in to new enclosures.

While that's happening take some time to do some research and make sure it's water dish is full of clean water. They are nocturnal and may be out partying while you are not.
Funny you mentioned they are partying at night as they owe after all their name to a dance ;)

1AB6FE2E-14B5-41FD-9F5A-91F655F85491.jpeg

Jeef

3 Year Member
I had my G. pulchra three days before it buried itself for about 4 months. It happens.

Right now I have 3 that buried themselves, 2 that won't come out of their hides and a fossorial. They are ultimately going to do what they are going to do.

joshcowin

Hi all here’s a better photo of the enclosure. Water hasn’t gone down at all but I still change it every other day. No sign of movement yet but I’ve got a small surveillance that we have to put behind the enclosure so hopefully will capture something. As for the substrate it is slowly drying out but humidity is still in the mid 80’s. Would it help if I opened the lid for an hour a day while I watched the enclosure? Thanks

Attachments

• FBD89B13-0BCA-4527-812D-0DE3E5E5740A.jpeg
    FBD89B13-0BCA-4527-812D-0DE3E5E5740A.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 14

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Hi all here’s a better photo of the enclosure. Water hasn’t gone down at all but I still change it every other day. No sign of movement yet but I’ve got a small surveillance that we have to put behind the enclosure so hopefully will capture something. As for the substrate it is slowly drying out but humidity is still in the mid 80’s. Would it help if I opened the lid for an hour a day while I watched the enclosure? Thanks
Hi,
This looks totally fine. Let it dry by itself, no need to leave the enclosure open if you have enough cross ventilation. No need to measure the humidity. The hardest part now rely solely on you and your strength of will as you need to leave it alone as much as possible. The more it is disturbed, the more likely it will want to hide and bunker itself.
Have a great day.

joshcowin

Hi,
This looks totally fine. Let it dry by itself, no need to leave the enclosure open if you have enough cross ventilation. No need to measure the humidity. The hardest part now rely solely on you and your strength of will as you need to leave it alone as much as possible. The more it is disturbed, the more likely it will want to hide and bunker itself.
Have a great day.
Thanks, luckily I have a lot of patience so will wait until she/he finally comes out.

joshcowin

Hi Josh. I feel your pain. My 1st T barricaded itself underground 5 days after I got it. Still buried. That was 11/11. I found the PERFECT solution if you find yourself still worrying or growing impatient. BUY MORE T's!!!! It totally works.
Ha ha I’ve already bought a versicolour which is hanging out all the time. Counting down the days until pay day now!

joshcowin

Update my b. Hamorii has finally pushed some of its dirt door down yesterday . Offered it a mealworm and he/she came crashing through the rest of the dirt like the cool aid man. I have a camera on the enclosure and it was up all night exploring. I did notice that the burrow is now a massive bowl underneath the cork bark.