• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. boehmei with strange behavior...

clxwnschool

I recently got a B. boehmei and I changed her substrate and set up her enclosure, but ever since, she has been doing nothing but climbing! I have her on coco fiber. The substrate may have been a bit slightly damp when I put it in, but it is definitely dry by now (I tested it).
I know these guys are a terrestrial species, so I have no idea why she keeps climbing! Every time I look at her, she's on the wall or maybe she shifted her position on the wall, but that's it. Even when she's on the ground, she's always at least partially propped up on the wall.

Also, that reminds me- her water empties fast! Is it common for these guys to drink a lot? Seriously, in just one day, it can go from full to empty and the substrate around doesn't seem wet so it doesn't look like the water spilled or anything. I went for a walk earlier and when I left, her dish was maybe a little less than half full, but by the time I came back in like an hour, it was completely gone and I watched her climb into it a bit later (which is how I noticed it was empty already).

I'm absolutely in love with her and I hope she's okay! I'm including a picture of her enclosure if that helps.

Attachments

• 20201024_164035.jpg
    20201024_164035.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 31

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
That substrate does look slightly moist. And looking at the photo, it looks suspiciously like your water dish is possibly leaking. My experience is that a lot of the commercial water bowls do leak. That is the reason I use things like peanut butter, soft drink & milk carton lids.

Some T's like to bury or fill water bowls, so using things like lids, some of my enclosures have more than one lid in it, but only one will be used for water. The other, or others are buried.

If you look at the photo you posted, you will see that the substrate on the left is darker than the top right. For a desert species it should look more like the substrate on the top right. With a small area of substrate like the darker substrate, which you allow to totally dry before damping another small area.

I tend to move my water dishes around every couple of weeks & simply overflow it slightly. That also stops mould as, no one area is slightly damp for more than about a week at a time.

Your T will settle down, as the substrate dries.

T's drink very little & some you never see drink.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Climbing is not strange behaviour. You T just wants to be off the substrate. It is a good reason for including a small piece of bark in a new enclosure. It gives it something to stand on, whilst fresh substrate dries a little.

Latest posts