• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. Boehmei sling feeding habits?

Matthew

3 Year Member
My daughter has had her B. Boehmei sling for a month now and in that 4 weeks she hasn't eaten a thing. It runs away from the tiny crickets she gives it so each time we end up pre-killing the cricket after leaving it to run around in there for a couple hours. We leave the dead cricket for 24 to 48 hours and it still doesn't touch it. We go through this routine twice a week. I know T's of any species can do this sort of thing and they will eat when they are good and ready. That said my personal experience is with a GBB that eats like a machine so this is a bit different for me. The spider seems fine. She has been observed wandering around her enclosure from time to time and always has water available.

I just wanted to see if others have experienced similar behavior from small slings of this species? I'd say this sling is a half inch in size. Also does our feeding routine seem sound? Just looking to reassure my daughter (and myself) that everything is fine and we are doing right by the critter. Sorry for the wall of text. I'll include a picture to make the post more interesting. Thanks in advance.
IMG_0922b.jpg

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Feeding 2-3 times a week, leave prey in for a while as stated above and all will be good.

You can always feed your sling cut up superworms or mealworms. I feed my small slings superworm heads (even the selective ones).

WolfSpider

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Got the exact same species at the same age with the same problem. I leave a cricket in overnight (no larger than abdomen size}. Most of the time, it will run from it. Half the time, the next morning, the cricket is gone. On rare occasions, the T attacks with vengeance. Not to worry. Your specimen looks quite healthy with a nice heiney!!!

Tortoise Tom

1,000+ Post Club
I have a tiny one like that too. I'm using pinhead red runners, and mine usually grabs them except when its in pre-molt.

The abdomen on yours look nice and full, so its eating something. Maybe the prey items are too large? I feed tiny little things to mine.

Matthew

3 Year Member
Thanks everyone or the advice. It looks like the little critter was in a month long premolt (should have guessed but was thrown by how long it lasted). Last night we caught her laying down a web mat and kicking hairs off into it and then a short while later she was upside down. The molt seems to have gone fine and it will be interesting to see how she eats when we feed her in about 5-7 days.

RonC

3 Year Member
A month in pre-molt isn't unusual for a Brachy. One of mine molted a couple of days ago. It's been in it's sealed burrow for two months. It is a little upsetting when your T wont eat though.

Latest posts