• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B.auratum won't come down???

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Any idea on why my new B.auratum won't come down from the lid of her enclosure? I got her over 2 weeks ago and she has yet to even explore her new home. Shes been hanging up side down the whole time. I just don't get it her substrate is dry and she's not stuck to anything. I know it can take some time to settle in so I just left her be. Finally broke down and took her out to make sure she wasn't stuck to the screen vent on the lid of her enclosure. She came off just fine and went down into her new home. Wake up this morning to find her back on the ceiling. Starting to get worried she will never settle in.

Innova

3 Year Member
I had this problem recently with my B smithi, Scarlet. If your B auratum is in a bigger enclosure then they are used to, they will explore before settling down. Just wait a little longer, if not then make some adjustments to the enclosure.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
Its as dry as it gets. She's only about 2 1/2 inch juvenile and I have her in a 4x4x5 inch enclosure so shouldn't be too big. She dose look to be in premolt so maybe that has something to do with it?

Pasodama

3 Year Member
My first thoughts would be dislike of substrate or stress. However, from what you describe, it doesn't seem the substrate should be the problem. Two weeks is a long time, to settle down, as well.

Although coco fiber is a good substrate, perhaps your T does not like it.
If the problem persists, you may want to try an entire change out using a different substrate or mix. Maybe add (as room permits) an extra plant, or two, as well.

timc

3 Year Member
Hmm..that's a tough one. If I had to guess I'd say she's either still stressed from the move or just plain old doesn't like the new enclosure. Some spiders can be picky.

Tgotty90

3 Year Member
She came down finally. Didn't have to make any changes to the enclosure just took her out of my display room and kept her in a darker spot for a few days and she came down and started rearranging her new home.

timc

3 Year Member
Awesome. Sometimes the little stinkers are hard to gauge. You can be doing everything right and they'll find something to not like. I'm glad the little guy/gal is getting comfortable, sometimes a little peace, quiet and darkness can do better than our best care. And sometimes vice versa. Let us know when he/ she has a nice big meal!

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have tarantulas that will act funny in premolt, they also climb the sides if a front is coming in, or there's a change in temp/humidity. I generally don't sweat it, they're just regulating. New enclosures are the same, it takes awhile for them to settle in.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You could try raising the temperature slightly, without putting and heat source or hotspot on the roof of the enclosure.

Frog moss upon the ground or by a water dish will give some variety underfoot.

Also try to firmly tamp down the substrate. It makes then more sure footed. You don't want the T to think there's water or quicksand under there.