• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B Albiceps not eating

Seamus

3 Year Member
Hi guys I bought a female brachypelma albiceps back in jan/ Feb from @Phil the tarantula looks fine has a big abdomen and a bold butt from kicking hairs but refusing food every time I attempt to feed her. I know they can go months without eating but starting to worry a bit
Cheers

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Are you leaving the food in overnight? As some T's prefer to eat when it's dark & quiet.

Next, Brachy's can do this. It could potentially be pre-molt or simply not be hungry. What colour is her bald butt? If it's a dark colour, then pre-molt is areal potential.

As an after thought. Have you tried different types of food? Different T's can can have their food response triggered by the differing movement of different food.

Seamus

3 Year Member
Are you leaving the food in overnight? As some T's prefer to eat when it's dark & quiet.

Next, Brachy's can do this. It could potentially be pre-molt or simply not be hungry. What colour is her bald butt? If it's a dark colour, then pre-molt is areal potential.

As an after thought. Have you tried different types of food? Different T's can can have their food response triggered by the differing movement of different food.
I've tried leaving it in overnight but still there in morning. Her abdomen is nowhere near dark and also tried mealworms, locust, crickets and dubia roaches of all different sizes

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I've tried leaving it in overnight but still there in morning. Her abdomen is nowhere near dark and also tried mealworms, locust, crickets and dubia roaches of all different sizes.

So you have given her every reasonable opportunity & she is choosing to not eat. That is just her being true to her type & decided to not eat for what ever reason. Just keep offering her something every couple of weeks & when she is ready, she will eat.