• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

B. albiceps missing leg

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I guess this one deserves a thread of its own.

This albiceps is one of my reclusive Ts. It quickly disappeared on me when I rehoused it to its current enclo. After a month, it came out and was fine. Then it disappeared again after one feeding. It appeared a couple of weeks ago and it ate a superworm.

Then I found out that it molted in the open a week ago but I have not taken a photo. Now, it is out and about but I found out that one of its leg is like this:

It is a regeneration of a missing leg! And I have not observed that one of its legs missing because it always hides.
I guess it really is not an issue but only the keeper that gives a big deal when this happens. Have I found out sooner, I would have searched for an answer as to why it lost its leg. But not knowing about is all the same, the T can take care of itself sans the keeper stressing about it.

So, I grabbed a rusty and feed Tula as a treat for getting its leg back. :D

:T:

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I love the albiceps for its carapace/body color contrast. The last photo is just awesome. I wonder how Tula will look a year from now, so excited! :D

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can't wait for mine to start showing colors :D it's still the zombie flesh now. Hopefully it grows up as good looking as yours!

Tomoran

3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Gorgeous spider...wow! Can't wait until mine is that big. Love her little mismatched leg. :)

I have actually bought a P. smithi a couple years ago and was ecstatic to learn that it was missing a leg. Watching him regenerate the missing limb through a few molts just blew my mind.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Gorgeous spider...wow! Can't wait until mine is that big. Love her little mismatched leg. :)

I have actually bought a P. smithi a couple years ago and was ecstatic to learn that it was missing a leg. Watching him regenerate the missing limb through a few molts just blew my mind.
agreed :) my A. genic is currently growing back a new leg from some mishap molt before last. Right now it's about half as thick, slightly shorter, and muted in colors compared to the other 7. Next molt it should be a full leg again.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If only this could happen to humans. I lost my right foot in an accident when I was 13. I have had several molts since then and can claim to be a mature male* but no regeneration yet.....lol

*people who know me may dispute my "mature" status however :D

Thistles

3 Year Member
If only this could happen to humans. I lost my right foot in an accident when I was 13. I have had several molts since then and can claim to be a mature male* but no regeneration yet.....lol

Sorry to hear that, Phil. Salamanders might be able to help you in the not-so-distant future.

Rmac88

3 Year Member
Absolutely amazing things these spiders are! The more I learn...I start to feel inferior [emoji14]

Sent from my SPH-L520 using Tapatalk

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member

Oh @Phil I hope you're just kidding about the leg bit, but if it's true, I guess it only makes you stronger. If we can regenerate like Ts, I wonder how it would be like? o_O

VanessaS

3 Year Member
You should add her photos to the gallery as well so people can use them for reference without having to search through individual posts. They are just so miraculous that I can't get over it.

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Oh @Phil I hope you're just kidding about the leg bit, but if it's true, I guess it only makes you stronger. If we can regenerate like Ts, I wonder how it would be like? o_O
Nope, not joking. Lucky to be alive. Got dragged under a double decker bus. All good. Like you say, makes us stronger and has shaped me into the person I am today (a little off balance but loving life) :)

Thistles

3 Year Member
Nope, not joking. Lucky to be alive. Got dragged under a double decker bus. All good. Like you say, makes us stronger and has shaped me into the person I am today (a little off balance but loving life) :)
...with a debilitating fear of buses, presumably?

Phil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I hope you know you're awesome.
PMSL......I don't hear that often! Thanks tho, I just get on with it. After nearly 36 years without it, can't even remember the time when I didn't have an artificial leg. That must have been part of my brains coping mechanism as have no direct memory recall before the accident.....so just reset my personality starting at the "stroppy teenager" default. All down hill from there according to my parents mwhahaha.

RedCapTrio

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
You should add her photos to the gallery as well so people can use them for reference without having to search through individual posts. They are just so miraculous that I can't get over it.
Good idea, I will do that. Thanks. :)

Latest posts