• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia Won’t Eat - Running Away From Food

OculusLondres

The chances of you buying a female to pair with your MM is meme quality comedy, no offense
View attachment 60597
Ship him off on a breeding loan, he most likely won't get eaten, and make a deal with the owner of the female for half the sac of she produces from a successful pairing.

If you keep him properly he can live a year or more whether you pair him or not.
None taken, I never tried to buy female and bought this friend as unsexed, but they (UndergroundReptiles) had option to buy female, at least at that time. Still I had/have no presence in sex.

I guess if females do exist (lol) there should be a chance of buying one, and I’m on tarantula forum, right? ;)

Please suggest, after mating - he suppose to eat considering he’s alive?

These are tibial hooks on a MM Avicularia so you know what we are talking about also the males pedipalps are engorged to look like boxing gloves also seen in this picture

Rewatched my own video and I do see the tibial hooks like you said.

Leepbby

Oh wow, I thought you can only do that with the molt by checking a flap! But what this suppose to mean? E.g. good/bad any specific steps I should take?
These are tibial hooks on a MM Avicularia so you know what we are talking about also the males pedipalps are engorged to look like boxing gloves also seen in this pic
oh, so, he’s ready to die unless he’s mated which is also going to be deadly for him?
And no not right away but as @octanejunkie stated if he's kept properly you should have him for a year maybe a little longer but that is what is unfortunate about having a male vs a female their lifespan is much shorter unfortunately

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
These are tibial hooks on a MM Avicularia so you know what we are talking about also the males pedipalps are engorged to look like boxing gloves also seen in this picture
That's a great pic but the hooks aren't usually that evident on Avicularia usually, emboli on the other hand, unmistakeable.

OculusLondres

These are tibial hooks on a MM Avicularia so you know what we are talking about also the males pedipalps are engorged to look like boxing gloves also seen in this pic

And no not right away but as @octanejunkie stated if he's kept properly you should have him for a year maybe a little longer but that is what is unfortunate about having a male vs a female their lifespan is much shorter unfortunately
Yes, I do see them now :(
He’s over 1.5 years, at least this is approximately when I bought him and he was already adult size.

Still trying to understand - will mating extend life or not?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
He ‘lasted’ on those 1.5 years, so I guess it’s not all empty calories, but I have bunch of crickets now, which he ignores, but my juvenile enjoys.
And now he's sick of them. ;) Crickets can be hit or miss with larger pinktoes also. I've been raising pinktoes for 39 years. Fast moving roaches / moths get the best feeding responses from pinktoes.

OculusLondres

And now he's sick of them. ;) Crickets can be hit or miss with larger pinktoes also. I've been raising pinktoes for 39 years. Fast moving roaches / moths get the best feeding responses from pinktoes.

He could be, but I got crickets now and was offering them before a fee time , but never had any luck, however, never had issues with worms. According to the users above buying new food is no point? I am getting completely lost, please suggest.

And just in case I’ll ask: Do you have a female to sell or accepting males to mate?

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Also being a mature male its hard grabing onto the prey with those boxing gloves. The larger the meal the better. You may have to prekill it and set it in his web.

I've got a couple females that I breed. How long ago did he molt?

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I have to ask are you sure this is a female I only ask because looking at the feeding video it almost appeared that I could see tibial hooks which maybe it was just the lighting but if your T does indeed have tibial hooks and has matured out it could be an entirely different reason as to why your T is not eating but again it could have been the lighting so just a question?
A belated nice catch @Leepbby saved some time and worry.

OculusLondres

375E8AC8-55DC-4454-A807-AC1F40813799.jpeg

He has a heart on his butt…ready to mate :)

Latest posts