• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia Versicolor enclosure/molt question

Sean King

3 Year Member
Hi everyone, I am astoundingly new to forums in general, nevermind this forum but I find myself in a little bit of a pickle regarding my Avicularia Versicolour T - Shelob.
I've owned her since November of 2013 and she has undergone 3 molts since. I'd originally received her in a dehli cup which was perfect for her arboreal needs until recently - she was around 3cm at the time. She has grown gradually since and about 3 weeks ago I rehoused her into a larger but appropriately sized terrarium equipped with some synthetic foliage in the hopes that she would web.
Since the rehousing she has not webbed - I did refer to some forums and found that this is common for avic. v's. A general solution was to place the old web in the new housing to encourage webbing, but this has seen little success.
She was eating for a few weeks after rehousing but yesterday declined a cricket. Thinking this is premolt behaviour, I'm a little concerned about how she will molt. Because I've never seen her EVER make contact with the substrate, without a web I'm not sure how she will molt? She spends her days clinging to the side of the glass and has made a little web but nothing substantial enough for her to live in.

Any help would be greatly appreciated as I am very worried about my little arachnocompanion.

Sean King

3 Year Member
20140221_205436.jpg
20140401_195052.jpg

Sabeth

3 Year Member
She is beautiful!

I wouldn't worry...although you rarely see it, the Avicularia do occasionally visit the floor. If she has a bit of a web started, she might add on to it before molting. My versi baby always throws more silk on his tunnel web before molting. Otherwise yours will probably just molt on the floor.

Latest posts