• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia sp Unknown ?

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This little one was given to me as a freebie from my last delivery from Poland, He did not know which sp of Avic this is.:):T:
20170610_120509.jpg
20170610_120532.jpg
20170610_120547.jpg

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Can you get a decent pic of the abdomen? I want to see if it's minatrix or not. But yeah, most of the pink toe ID posts end up being a color form in the Avicularia avicularia complex.
Will try, not the easiest to photograph being 2cm, it has also molted over night, from what I can see there looks like a touch of orange/red, maybe the light in here, will try and get a shot over next few days. Thanks:):T:

CEC

3 Year Member
Will try, not the easiest to photograph being 2cm, it has also molted over night, from what I can see there looks like a touch of orange/red, maybe the light in here, will try and get a shot over next few days. Thanks:):T:

Well, note that minatrix have a slightly different abdominal pattern compared to the look alike Avicularia avicularia, variegata, juruensis and rufa slings. So they are identifiable in a picture.

CEC

3 Year Member
Almost positive it's Avicularia minatrix. They have a unique abdominal pattern. Please, post better pics of the abdomen, side pics especially.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Almost positive it's Avicularia minatrix. They have a unique abdominal pattern. Please, post better pics of the abdomen, side pics especially.
Me and @Enn49both agree it`s a Minatrix, she got one recently and we have compared Photos, they are identical
What I noticed was the legs are a lot hairier than any of the other Avics I have had and got, this is a first for me though with this sp..

CEC

3 Year Member
I would agree with you but I can't tell size from your pics. Lol it being hairier than other Avicularia at a smaller size makes sense, minatrix are a small species only getting about 3".
The abdominal pattern certainly says minatrix, but I want to be sure your pics aren't playing tricks on me. ;)

Last edited:

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would agree with you but I can't tell size from your pics. Lol
The abdominal pattern certainly says minatrix, but I want to be sure your pics aren't playing tricks on me. ;)
Do you mean the actual size of the T or size of the Photo. ?:)

CEC

3 Year Member
Do you mean the actual size of the T or size of the Photo. ?:)

The sling size. All of them tend to get hairier as they grow. Avicularia minatrix mature at a smaller size compared to most so logically that tells me they will be hairier at a smaller size.

LC72uk

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The sling size. All of them tend to get hairier as they grow. Avicularia minatrix mature at a smaller size compared to most so logically that tells me they will be hairier at a smaller size.
I would say Sling is no bigger than 1.5cm / 2cm at the most.