• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia Identification

Nephrite

Hey guys!

Was sold an A. purpurea sling years ago and now it’s grown up and I’m 99% sure it’s not a purpurea.

I know it’s an avicularia genus atleast, but what’s the actual “morph” of it?

Attachments

• 30089E34-D913-4E64-8490-83EADAEB49F3.jpeg
    30089E34-D913-4E64-8490-83EADAEB49F3.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 30
  • 959F1A01-6EB8-44B0-B2EF-964E8B0097B9.jpeg
    959F1A01-6EB8-44B0-B2EF-964E8B0097B9.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 31
  • 111CC64E-A932-4379-8E57-49E65B28E96D.jpeg
    111CC64E-A932-4379-8E57-49E65B28E96D.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 30

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From what I can see you have an Avicularia jurensis.. There's two varieties in the jurensis that I know of one with blue femurs and one with blue femurs with gold banding.. As far as I'm aware they are still known as this in the US :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It only really matters what 'morph' you have if you were thinking of breeding otherwise just enjoy your little Avic :)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks live Avicularia sp. "Peru purple" to me.
There's from my understanding a lot of confusion in the US from what I've read ( there was a thread about it a while ago) and someone informed me that Peru purples are known as jurensis in the US? The jurensis over here used to be known as 'urticans' please let me know if I'm wrong :) They are distinctly different species here in the UK - we have both but I'm not able to get a picture at the moment as they are in premoult and in their Web tubes at the moment :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
There's from my understanding a lot of confusion in the US from what I've read ( there was a thread about it a while ago) and someone informed me that Peru purples are known as jurensis in the US? The jurensis over here used to be known as 'urticans' please let me know if I'm wrong :) They are distinctly different species here in the UK - we have both but I'm not able to get a picture at the moment as they are in premoult and in their Web tubes at the moment :)

I think you are right. Peru purple are now ex urticans and are known as something else. I hate it when they do all these taxonomic name changes. I mean, its good that they do the reclassification but damn, it's very confusing to breeders and hobbyists, alike. Most hobbyists just want the pretty spider (doesn't matter what the scientific name is as long as it's the spider pictured) but to breeders like myself, it calls for complications because you have to be on your toes when it comes to paying close attention to reclassification. We don't want any of the big bad "H" word running around in the hobby.......

Latest posts