• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia Cross Vent Question

jrh3

3 Year Member
for (avic. versicolor) is this enough holes on 1 side or more? also should i just drill this side plus the one across from it or 3 sides or all sides? i got 6 to build so wanna get them all right. this is the 4x4x8 amac boxes

if i need more holes, higher holes, lower holes, any help is appreciated.
20160311_162240.jpg

Fleas

3 Year Member
I would do that on all sides and make the holes all the way to the top( that's we're they tend to hang out at) and that should do it. Lol like how you added the drill in the picture:)

jrh3

3 Year Member
I would do that on all sides and make the holes all the way to the top( that's we're they tend to hang out at) and that should do it. Lol like how you added the drill in the picture:)
i went down 2 more rows and went to the top, now i gotta do the 3 other sides....man this is time consuming.
1457740541129-1702117856.jpg
1457740541129-1702117856.jpg

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
God I love seeing heavy cross ventilation. My advice is this : Different ambient temps/humidity will affect how you build your enclosures. I have a steady 60% humidity, climbing to almost a hundred some days. I put heavy ventilation in the sides like that, plus a few holes in the top(not a bunch, you want to trap some humidity) and also a line of vents just above the substrate, so when I overfill the water dish, the substrate dries out well. It is extremely easy in my t room to get mold, and mites, because of the humidity, so I actually require heavy ventilation. Your experience may vary, depending on your environment. Hope this helped.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Cross ventilation is extra good, or so I've heard. I try to give my tarantulas some of it, whenever possible.

My Avics, nevertheless, have about 100x less holes in their enclosures, and are still thriving. Only to say: don't worry too much, your Avic is gonna be fine, even with less holes. :p
Agreed. I only drill on 2 sides of my Avic enclosures. It's quite dry here though so I don't need the extra vent like @MassExodus.

I started with moist sub and a water dish, and overflow the dish when it gets drier than normal. Then let it dry. Normal indoor humidity here is 25-30% except for winter. I've seen it drop to single digits without a humidifier to running to balance it out on those cold sub zero days.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If provided with enough anchor points and things to climb on, Avics will spin some pretty thick tube-webs, which they use as a retreat. Some are slower to settle in and web, but most will web a decent bit in time. A.avic and A.metallica don't seem to spin as much as others I've noticed.

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
If provided with enough anchor points and things to climb on, Avics will spin some pretty thick tube-webs, which they use as a retreat. Some are slower to settle in and web, but most will web a decent bit in time. A.avic and A.metallica don't seem to spin as much as others I've noticed.
@Chubbs you're the resident 'expert' so to speak on avics here :) any ideas why my sp Peru Purple has built his tunnels just above the substrate? there's much more anchor points from halfway up to the top of the enclosure, but he seems to enjoy the bottom. Scared of heights maybe? :p

He's eating fine and drinking the droplets from the occasional mistings, He's just never gone to the top as i've read avics like to do and my versicolor has. He does hunt thought, which i've never seen my versicolor do. If you don't drop it in the webbing for the versicolor it won't eat.

The sp. Peru Purple will sit in the web tunnel until a roach runs underneath, then either bolt to the top like it got startled, or follow it in the web tunnel until it can snag the roach and have lunch.

lasiodora-parahybana1980

3 Year Member
I realize that this is an old post, but I am glad to come across this particular topic. I am fairly new to the hobby and have heard a lot regarding stuffy avicularia killing the little guys. My question is, in Arizona and obviously its pretty dry out here and so would it be better to have less ventilation holes?? Thanks in advance for the help. Ben.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I realize that this is an old post, but I am glad to come across this particular topic. I am fairly new to the hobby and have heard a lot regarding stuffy avicularia killing the little guys. My question is, in Arizona and obviously its pretty dry out here and so would it be better to have less ventilation holes?? Thanks in advance for the help. Ben.
It's the same amount of holes for Arizona as it would be for Seattle. They live in the tree tops...where theres lots of breeze. Since your in Arizona you will need to water your versicolor/pinktoe more often then a guy in Seattle due to evaporation.

Fleas

3 Year Member
It's the same amount of holes for Arizona as it would be for Seattle. They live in the tree tops...where theres lots of breeze. Since your in Arizona you will need to water your versicolor/pinktoe more often then a guy in Seattle due to evaporation.
This

Latest posts