• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avicularia avicularia pink toe tarantula enclosure help

NEVERLANDCREATIONS

Hey everyone I posted about my avicularia avicularia pink toe tarantula because it doesn't seem to like it's enclosure much. I had it in an all mesh enclosure which I switched to an all glass reptizoo enclosure with mesh top. Seems like it still doesn't want to climb on the plants or wood and doesn't want to web or eat I believe it does drink from the water dish I've had to fill a couple times. Any help? (I also have a heating pad on the enclosure just in case it wanted more heat it's set at 80°)

Attachments

• 16018766561223744095053481823331.jpg
    16018766561223744095053481823331.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 51
  • 16018766763072706510774120133917.jpg
    16018766763072706510774120133917.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 51

Volkswachter

First thing is that your tarantula is probably stressed out after moving into it's new home. Sometimes it can take a week or so before a tarantula gets accustomed to their house; just leave it be.

The heating pad on top of the enclosure is also a bad idea. Your T might not be climbing because of that; it might be staying lower because that's where the air is cooler. This is a possibility.

I live in Canada so I too use heating equipment; but it's indirect heat. I have a low watt bulb pointed slightly away from my shelves and a tiny desk-top space heater about 4 feet away from the shelves I keep my Ts on, just enough to keep the temperature around 71-74. My guys are in a basement and it gets down to 65 or less at night this time of year so this is why... but direct heat on the enclosure is usually never a good idea.

Volkswachter

disregard that; I'm stupid. Tarantulas can also be drawn to the heat which could be why yours is hunkered down right against the lid nearest to the heating pad. Dunno what to tell you other than to take the pad off the lid and stick it behind the enclosure with about 1-2 inches of room between the pad and the wall of the enclosure. Keep the water dish full and give your T some time to acclimate after the rehousing.

shaun

3 Year Member
Also you might want to consider drilling some holes on opposite sides for cross ventilation (take the T out first!)

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is normal for pinktoes. It needs time to get use to its enclosure.. The more you mess with it the more uncomfortable it becomes in its enclosure. They sit on the glass anyways...thats what they do. Other then adding more branches up high this enclosure is fine. Disregard the advise for drilling holes in this enclosure. This enclosure is designed with more then adequate ventilation. I have over 20 Avicularias living in this same enclosure. Make sure you have a water dish in there.. Good luck.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My Avic avic died a few days ago. (It was a Mature Male, so expected.) It often spent time on the glass at the top of the enclosure. So to give it some cover, I added some plastic hanging plants to my enclosure in the rear corner. I used string & sellotape, to support them from the outside, as I wanted them to go right to the top & not be too close to the glass & I also do not like, or trust, those suction cups, that they supply to support your hanging plants.
Another nice thing for Avic avics is a small free standing tube of cork bark reasonably close to the back corner. My avic spent time mostly at the back or on top of the tube, but very rarely within it.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is where my old boy spent his last couple of years. The meters at the back came with the enclosure & are not something I would now add.

2.jpg

Latest posts