• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic Versicolor sling

Dupid22

3 Year Member
New Avic Versicolor sling and it's so f-ing tiny is there something smaller than a pinhead cricket. Or will it still take down something potentially bigger than it???
20210203_101611.jpg

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You can order a cup/culture of drosophila (wingless fruit flies) that will last a while. Pinhead crickets or micro mealworms. Keep in mind as well that small slings are usually great scavengers and will much on pre-killed preys. Slightly larger preys cut in half will do the trick. You’ll have a few months where it’ll feel dicey but after a few molts it’ll be a lot less difficult.
Cheees.

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Feed tiny avics like that in their webbing, many will not roam around much.

Also, keep it in something that promotes webbing and is small enough to not let prey items get away.
PXL_20210207_152430704.MP.jpg

The cual on the left is good for small avics, up to 3/4" - they will web up the leaf and you can open the top to feed and use an eye dropper to dampen the substrate and webbing.

Once they get to 3/4" I move them to something like on the right, explained by Tom Moran in his DIY Avic enclosure video. Avics will web at the top and you can remove and invert the top to water and feed into the webbing.
16127118226873870263164147007533.jpg
16127118534444357348117489265157.jpg

I have a few Avic Project threads that show these in slightly more detail

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I feed my slings small to medium size roaches. Freeze them in the freezer over night...make sure of this or they will come back to life. Only freezing for a few hours isn't enough. Drop the roach in the slings webbing or on the ground for terrestrials. After 24 hours remove what left over. Just fed these tiny guys this morning.
20201029_191327.jpg
20200503_083355.jpg

Dupid22

3 Year Member
Omg thank you everyone for your help, I have a lot I need to change enclosure-wise and the ill definitely try the wingless fruit Flys. Any advice on where to get those from? (Local pet stores don't have them)

Dupid22

3 Year Member
Feed tiny avics like that in their webbing, many will not roam around much.

Also, keep it in something that promotes webbing and is small enough to not let prey items get away.View attachment 53575
The cual on the left is good for small avics, up to 3/4" - they will web up the leaf and you can open the top to feed and use an eye dropper to dampen the substrate and webbing.

Once they get to 3/4" I move them to something like on the right, explained by Tom Moran in his DIY Avic enclosure video. Avics will web at the top and you can remove and invert the top to water and feed into the webbing.
View attachment 53576View attachment 53577
I have a few Avic Project threads that show these in slightly more detail
You're post makes me feel like I just walked up to a professor with the most pitiful peatrie dish for a project.... thank you so much. Quick question regarding the enclosures, do they have to be clear like that? The reason I'm asking is the only thing I have that small would be an old empty pill bottle but those are all either orangish-yellow or green. So the light coming in would be completely different, does that matter?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
You're post makes me feel like I just walked up to a professor with the most pitiful peatrie dish for a project.... thank you so much.
A non-clear enclosure is fine. The T won't care.

Apologies for triggering something that's clearly better worked out with our respective therapists... I won't mention the grammatical faux pas

PM me your address, I'll make good on the admonishing emotional takeaway and mail you a few vials for your sling.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
A non-clear enclosure is fine. The T won't care.

Apologies for triggering something that's clearly better worked out with our respective therapists... I won't mention the grammatical faux pas

PM me your address, I'll make good on the admonishing emotional takeaway and mail you a few vials for your sling.

Smarty pants. Lol

Turtlynne

3 Year Member
O my! lovely little sling!( note avatar...heehee)...mine used to eat cricket legs...just pull them off ...ooo gross! but crickets are "demon spawn" or so I have heard here! (LOL)

CritterKeeper79

O my! lovely little sling!( note avatar...heehee)...mine used to eat cricket legs...just pull them off ...ooo gross! but crickets are "demon spawn" or so I have heard here! (LOL)
I agree, I think fruit flies are easier and more predictable than crickets. I always lose one or two. Somewhere, I have some fat house spiders.

Poppy2020

3 Year Member
They can bleed out that way
Never had one bleed out? They seem to lose legs very easily and survive. I can’t just pull a leg off.... eh. Poor little guys and gals... I feel for them and all the feeders I use. Dubias are awesome little creatures too — definitely my spiders fav.

Latest posts