• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic sp. Amazonica bad molt!!

Charlotte

3 Year Member
Hi all,

So I've been waiting for my Amazonica to molt as she's been in a pre molt for just over a week,

I got a surprise last night and found that my versi sling had molted sideways and this morning my Amazonica had molted but looks like she might have fallen from her web mat down a bit near the bottom of cork bark and was stuck in the molt. I managed to help her but 2 legs had not molted, she has since removed the legs.

Will she be ok with three legs missing?
It's horrible to watch it struggling to walk. She's just on a fake leaf at the bottom of enclosure. Had a drink though.

I don't want to loose her, any help will be appreciated.

Last edited:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I think she will be ok without the legs. she will struggle without them though. u might have to just help her along. put food close enough to her she can grab it and what not. but if she is eating and drinking then she should be cool. Sling i am assuming? also what is the humidity like in her enclosure?

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
My A. laerta arrived having moulted in transit and lost 2 legs but it managed amazingly well until it moulted again 7 weeks later and was back to 8 legs. So don't worry too much.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
@Entity yh it's a sling, I am checking on her quite a lot and she stays in the same place. I have moved her water bowl closer and will prekill food as I think she'll have an issue catching it. Humidity is between 70-80% and has done well until now.

@Enn49 it's just horrible to see her struggling, looks so tiny and fragile compared to the others now and she was one of the biggest. Got such character already as well. I hope the next molt comes soon and goes well with no problems.

Last edited:

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
id keep it closer to the 60 -70% range. but that of course is just my opinion everyone seems to do things differently with avics.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
My versi molted at the same time and had a perfect molt and today my Peru Purple has molted with no problems. I Keep them all around the same temp and humidity, seems to be working ok so far, I think my little amazonica was just unlucky. Seems to be doing ok atm so I'm happy :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@Entity yh it's a sling, I am checking on her quite a lot and she stays in the same place. I have moved her water bowl closer and will prekill food as I think she'll have an issue catching it. Humidity is between 70-80% and has done well until now.

@Enn49 it's just horrible to see her struggling, looks so tiny and fragile compared to the others now and she was one of the biggest. Got such character already as well. I hope the next molt comes soon and goes well with no problems.
Stop worrying over the humidity percentage! [emoji14] it's completely irrelevant. This is why I ignore online caresheets, they're full of false information. All you need is a water dish. Cross-ventilation is what's most important. Moist poorly ventilated cages are very bad for Avics.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
i understand that @Chubbs i dont go crazy over the humidity or anything but i do monitor is slightly to make sure it doesnt get any extremes. mainly because i mist to keep a plant and the isopods alive i make sure that it isnt getting TOO humid mostly. but it is dry in my room and the humidity gets pretty low in here. but she has plenty of ventilation.

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
There are a few that need it a bit more on the moist side.

Ephebopus, megaphobema, Lampropelma, Theraphosa are some examples of genera that need lots of moisture. Even then saying they need high humidity isn't technically correct, since it's the moisture that matters more.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
My beautiful little amazonica has died :(seemed ok yesterday morning, climbing a little, made a little web and was drinking. Came home last night and Nogi was gone :(

My other slings are all doing well. I will miss her/him.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
@Charlotte I'm so sorry. In some cases there is just nothing you can do to help them, they're just not meant to be.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
My beautiful little amazonica has died :(seemed ok yesterday morning, climbing a little, made a little web and was drinking. Came home last night and Nogi was gone :(

My other slings are all doing well. I will miss her/him.
Sorry to hear that. :( u did make sure she was gone right? i mean sometimes they molt rightside up and stuff like that and people make mistakes. just throwing that out there....sorry again.

Charlotte

3 Year Member
Yh I made sure, she was in a death curl and I tried to move her with a paintbrush and nothing, I also held her and nothing. No signs of life at all.

Feel sad looking at them all and then seeing her empty jar with her name on. I was really looking forward to seeing the colours on her as she grew up.

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Yh I made sure, she was in a death curl and I tried to move her with a paintbrush and nothing, I also held her and nothing. No signs of life at all.

Feel sad looking at them all and then seeing her empty jar with her name on. I was really looking forward to seeing the colours on her as she grew up.
it happens sometimes...the best cure for a passed pet is a new pet i always say.

SasyStace

3 Year Member
Stop worrying over the humidity percentage! [emoji14] it's completely irrelevant. This is why I ignore online caresheets, they're full of false information. All you need is a water dish. Cross-ventilation is what's most important. Moist poorly ventilated cages are very bad for Avics.

My Avic is thriving and already had a perfect molt- Everything I have learned about care I read here. I do not provide heat to any of my T's If I am comfortable I figure they are too. I provide very little water to my Avic maybe a light partial mist once a week ( I have seen it drink) but it's such a good eater that and so active that I believe it's very very happy :) Thank you for all your tips

Charlotte

3 Year Member
My other avics are all doing very well, I guess it's just one of those things especially when they're so tiny. I'm glad my Versi and Kwitara sp slings are doing well, I think I'd be devastated if I lost those too. I'm sticking to adult Ts now. I'm glad yours is doing well :)

Chubbs

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I would definitely give it another shot. This is a great Avic. Yours may have just been a weaker individual. Last sling I lost was my Avicularia juruensis and those are super rare. I literally only see them available on the market every few years. That was a hard loss for sure so I know how you feel.

Latest posts