• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic Community

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Well there are lots of avics still for sale in a shop near me. Most of me thinks its a bad idea ( mainly cos the man in the shop said it was ok.) But I wondered about getting a huge container and keeping a few in together. They would be well fed with lots of hides and water bowls. I think its a bad idea but wondered if anyone has kept avics together before. What happens if one is moulting, is that one likely to become dinner ? It would be my ultimate nightmare to have one of my ts eaten alive . I'm sure Kenny write something on here a while ago about it . I would like to get a few more avics out of the shop but not at the risk of one ( or more ) being eaten. The avics I have now mostly just loaf about in there logs but they wander about occasionally. Would they fight if one went into another ones hide ? Should I put the idea out of my head? I'm sure I read somewhere that it normally ends in cannibalism but there was loads of them living in a room together on a TV show called Fort Boyard years ago.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's doable, I kept A.metallic (4.2) in a 75 gallon tank for a couple years. and I still had a casualty or two. Eventually I took it down to 1.2 and had no further issues. But honestly, imo they're better off solo. Accidents do happen.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
It's doable, I kept A.metallic (4.2) in a 75 gallon tank for a couple years. and I still had a casualty or two. Eventually I took it down to 1.2 and had no further issues. But honestly, imo they're better off solo. Accidents do happen.
Thanks, I was put off when the man in the shop suggested it as I thought he was trying to sell a big expensive enclosure and as many avics as I could carry ! It would break my heart if anyone was eaten.

Nada

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Like I said it IS doable, with certain species. I still don't recommend it. The 1 exception being Holothele species. They seem to thrive communaly.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
IMO if it would be your worst nightmare for one to be eaten, you shouldn't do it.
Yeh you're right, I would be devastated. I had a quick google of holothele incie and they sound like great fun. Reptile forum are offering ten slings for 25 pound! I need to read up a lot more before I commit myself.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
God they are the cutest things ever I have to get some. I just saw a video of some slings and two of them were actually sharing a cricket. I can't imagine money sharing with Rapunzel or Hercules sharing with Minxy.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I can just see money bashing the other 2 in the head with a cricket leg while screaming gibberish if they tried that....
Oh money wouldn't take no crap and he certainly wouldn't do sharing. I think you've got him sussed. He screams gibberish at me all the time, fortunately he can't speak English and I don't speak Chilean.

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
No one would believe me, I would be locked away in a secure unit while Money and Vegas go on a whoopee up with my credit cards

Bast

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll get Karina to convince them to bail you out ....Noelle will probably be involved in their scheme, so it will be the least Karina and I can do ;)

harleyqueen

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I'll get Karina to convince them to bail you out ....Noelle will probably be involved in their scheme, so it will be the least Karina and I can do ;)
Ah thanks a lot. Karina will get distracted flirting with my pink footed boys tho.... I think Midas might be female so she will have Herod and Solomon arguing over her. Vegas and Money will soon get fed up with eachother when they run out of food .