• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic Avic Sexing

Ryanh97

3 Year Member
*Sorry if I posted this in the wrong thread, I just joined*

Thankyou for taking your time to read. I'm curious as to what sex my Avic Avic is. I have a Metallic Pink Toe and was told by the pet store they "believe it's a female." However I'm not exactly sure and after looking up pics and doing tons of research I've managed to confuse myself more than anything! What's your thoughts??

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 138
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.2 KB · Views: 135
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    159.8 KB · Views: 136

Ryanh97

3 Year Member
That's a female. That "white/light pink" area between the top book lungs is the flap.

Thank you for the confirmation! Now in the process I found that adding a drop of water to loosen up the molt (it was shriveled up ) is supposed to help. That wouldn't have altered it in any way would it? I didn't tear anything in the process either.

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Thank you for the confirmation! Now in the process I found that adding a drop of water to loosen up the molt (it was shriveled up ) is supposed to help. That wouldn't have altered it in any way would it? I didn't tear anything in the process either.

Sometimes it can cause the "fusillae (fine velvet)" to detach from the exoskeleton (I've done this several times) but if there's no "tear" anywhere, there's no mistaken what's in that pic. Nice pic, btw. Very clear when it's expanded, although you can clearly see the flap when it isn't.

Ryanh97

3 Year Member
Sometimes it can cause the "fusillae (fine velvet)" to detach from the exoskeleton (I've done this several times) but if there's no "tear" anywhere, there's no mistaken what's in that pic. Nice pic, btw. Very clear when it's expanded, although you can clearly see the flap when it isn't.

Thank you again, I appreciate this

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Congrats on the female! I've found it's better to use a drop of dish soap, like Dawn, mixed in with the water. That helps break up the surface tension and absorb into the shed exo faster.

Latest posts