• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Avic Avic in Exo Terra

Shaolin

16da2ae526d53ac8fac0578533b53556.jpg

5f84e1e5e5460353ccafb3b1aa225b87.jpg

I have an Avicularia avicularia juvenile (3”?) in an Exo Terra 30x30x30 that I rehomed.

It’s a fair set up as you can see from the photos. I added the white ramekin for a water dish as there wasn’t one. The previous owner sprayed daily. As I understand it, it’s better to have a good water dish and cross ventilation than spray.
The Aa is rarely seen - sometimes on top of the bark at the back. It is out and about as it marks the glass high up near the front on a daily basis.

My questions are:
1) No webbing at present - wasn’t any when I got it either. Is that ok? I can understand if there isn’t recently as it will want to resettle; but none from earlier? At this age webbing should be evident shouldn’t it?
2) The enclosure is in a corner. Am I Ok to move the main bark piece to the right, so that I can check the beastie more easily? The plant is easy to move - Exo Terra job with a suction cup.
3) if I move the bark , what about the small hide and water?
Any thoughts?
(Aa graffiti in photo below)
288d5183a225a06d82db7f0075654777.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have an A. avic (Elvira) in the same Exo Terra. She finally spun a web four months after her arrival. Her web is in an upper corner and her water dish sits down below in the opposite diagonal corner, meaning she has to travel a little ways (which she does) to get to it. On a side note, my avic messes up the glass just like yours. :/ But luckily cleanup is a breeze.
:T:

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Avics can hold out on webbing when rehoused for some time. One of my girls waited almost a year before webbing right before she molted. The graffiti can be easily removed with a razor blade.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Avics can hold out on webbing when rehoused for some time. One of my girls waited almost a year before webbing right before she molted. The graffiti can be easily removed with a razor blade.
I found that razor blades can etch the glass. I now use a damp, non-abrasive scouring pad which cleans it real well. On a side note, for those enclosures that get misted I use distilled water and it doesn't leave water marks on the glass. I guess that's bcuz the minerals have been removed?

BTW, is graffiti what a T leaves behind? I grew up in the LA area so I know all about graffiti!

Last edited:

Shaolin

It was webbed the top corner above the bark into a hammock type thing. Found it sat there a few times.
With regards to the tagging / graffiti I clean it off with a tissue sprayed with a dilute f10. Come off quite easily - I think a razor would be a tad ott.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
It was webbed the top corner above the bark into a hammock type thing. Found it sat there a few times.
With regards to the tagging / graffiti I clean it off with a tissue sprayed with a dilute f10. Come off quite easily - I think a razor would be a tad ott.

They're both sitting near the top of their enclosures as if in a "hammock." Good description. Would they molt there or go to the floor? I'm still new to this. And except for the top row of my keyboard, I'm not familiar with f10. What is that? I'm always willing to try something different.

Shaolin

They're both sitting near the top of their enclosures as if in a "hammock." Good description. Would they molt there or go to the floor? I'm still new to this. And except for the top row of my keyboard, I'm not familiar with f10. What is that? I'm always willing to try something different.
It’s a veterinarian disinfectant. Very effective but safe for the animals too. A F10 SC of 200ml will last years.
https://www.bluelizardreptiles.co.u...Egn0ApYchhzCjYBivK34ikiiKZ7_4MixoC808QAvD_BwE

https://www.f10products.co.uk/

HTH

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
Thanx for the tip. Since my two avics haven't been thru a molt yet (at least since I've had them), will they move to the bottom of their enclosures to do their business? Just wonderin'.

Shaolin

Mine hasn’t either. My understanding is that arboreal species tend to do it up top on their web.

Of course it isn’t always the case. My B.Smithii just did it upright rather than on its back, so....
Terrestrial so on the substrate.

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member
I have three of them in the same terrarium and they all molted up in the webbing.
Gotcha. I have read on more than occasion that Avics seem to do okay together short-term but need to be separated after a while. What's been your experience with this?

Last edited:

Mr. P

3 Year Member
Sorry, I don't mean in one terrarium, they are in their own but the same type as the OP.
They are considered a communal species but I haven't been brave enough to try it. Maybe if I had a larger terrarium where there was more space.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
An ExoTerra nano should be fine for most Avics and former Avics such as C versicolor.

My nano is very well ventilated and not at all stuffy, exactly what a fresh air loving arboreal needs.

Latest posts