• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

avic avic 4 inch fem adult questions

Bshelly101

I have Astrid in a 12x12 exo terra glass enclosure and a heating pad on one side underneath I live in nor cal it's cold where I live I can't leave the heater on when I'm gone which is like half the day I'm scared to leave it on all night i don't know what to do?

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I have Astrid in a 12x12 exo terra glass enclosure and a heating pad on one side underneath I live in nor cal it's cold where I live I can't leave the heater on when I'm gone which is like half the day I'm scared to leave it on all night i don't know what to do?
What heat mat are you using? Ive used the zilla ones, they dont get real hot. I had them attached to plastic roach bins with no problems. On all the time. Just leave it on and check it occasionaly, it should be fine. Its a good idea to use a thermostat for safety.

Enn49

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
This is what can happen to even a small heat mat without a thermostat. It even burnt a hole in the bottom of a wooden vivarium.
024-jpg.27073

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
This is what can happen to even a small heat mat without a thermostat. It even burnt a hole in the bottom of a wooden vivarium.
024-jpg.27073
This.
I didnt use thermostats on my roach bins, but I did for my Theraphosa. Just because mine never malfunctioned, doesn't mean they won't. I should have stressed that more, thanks Enn.

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
12x12x12 exo is not a good tank for a avicularia. It will work though if you set it up right. I live in northern Oregon and it's cold here 8 months of the year. Never had to use a heat pad...

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
12x12x12 exo is not a good tank for a avicularia. It will work though if you set it up right. I live in northern Oregon and it's cold here 8 months of the year. Never had to use a heat pad...
And she probably doesn't need one either. But..
Temp plays a huge role in development, and I believe behavior. I keep all my pets in my bedroom. Temp plays a roll in my behavior as well..

Ed Zeppelin

3 Year Member

I have two A. avics in Exo Terras. One is in an 8x8x12 and the other is in a 12x12x12. Why is the 12x12x12 not a good tank? They both seem to do fine in their respective cribs. To me, the larger crib is just a little bigger than it needs to be but it seems to work well. Thanx for your input.
:T:

Last edited:

Latest posts