• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Australian Wood Roaches, Nauphotea Cinera

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I thought I'd show the roach species most widely used in Australia. For years these were the only species seen for sale but lately I've noticed different species for sale privately. I have a feeling that they originated as illegal imports because foreign species are not allowed to be imported and I don't think these are native roaches.
Here's a picture from one ad, perhaps you'll recognise them straight off although it is a tiny picture. I asked but the guy doesn't know the species. One looks like a native flying species but the rest don't, it may be a contaminant in the colony.
Feeder Roaches for Sale.jpg

Let me know if they look familiar.

The real reason for this post is to show one of my "Woodie" colonies munching on some carrot, they are supposed to be food but I liked them as pets so I changed the egg carton and oats set-up to a more natural false bottom set-up. Up until a year or so ago I had scorpions in with each colony, they were in there for 3 years with no visible effect on the colonies at all, it was self sustaining and could have lasted indefinitely had I wanted it too.
So here's the little guys munching, aren't they cute! :)

Latest posts