• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Australian Frogs

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I came across these pictures of a Brown Tree Frog I rescued from the cats a couple of years ago and thought I'd post them. I have lots of frog pictures if I look for them, so as I come across them or take more I'll post them in this thread. I don't have this frog anymore as I put it outside in a terrarium knowing it could probably escape but I was just getting it away from the cats by putting it in the back yard which is the dogs territory.
Anyway, these two pictures are of the same frog on different days in almost exactly the same spot in the terrarium.
Brown Tree Frog Litoria ewingii
007.JPG
035.JPG

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Man I love your local animals threads! Keep it up!
I've really got to go through my computer and organise the pictures, I have so many. Lately I've just been using my phone or netbook so I can sit near the heater. Frogs and lizards make good subjects because they sit still mostly, my blue tongue skink excepted. I've had her since she was born and she must be pushing ten but still hisses and runs when she sees me, I've got lots of pics of her tail disappearing down her burrow.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've really got to go through my computer and organise the pictures, I have so many. Lately I've just been using my phone or netbook so I can sit near the heater. Frogs and lizards make good subjects because they sit still mostly, my blue tongue skink excepted. I've had her since she was born and she must be pushing ten but still hisses and runs when she sees me, I've got lots of pics of her tail disappearing down her burrow.
Dave..you just mentioned the one reptile I love..the blue tounges are freakin awesome..thats the one reptile thats been calling me to that hobby from the start..they're expensive over here, but not terribly so..I need to get one. Don't want to highjack your thread I'll start another, but I have blue tongue questions..

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Dave..you just mentioned the one reptile I love..the blue tounges are freakin awesome..thats the one reptile thats been calling me to that hobby from the start..they're expensive over here, but not terribly so..I need to get one. Don't want to highjack your thread I'll start another, but I have blue tongue questions..
I keep them very simply, a tank with hollow logs buried in about 4" of substrate and feed gourmet dog or kitten food, snails, kangaroo or beefheart and a wide range of fruit and veg. In winter I let them brumate and offer easily digested food when they become active again.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
@MassExodus , I came across these photos of a baby blue tongue dug up in the middle of winter. I tried not to show injuries in this set of pictures but one side of the face was cut pretty deeply and there were other injuries.
I miss the lizard but not my old camera!

blue1.jpg

blue2.jpg

blue3.jpg

blue4.jpg

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
022.JPG
026.JPG
029.JPG
025.JPG
031.JPG
032.JPG
034.JPG
035.JPG
I came across this Brown Tree Frog the other day so I took some pictures before letting it go in the pond. The light was fantastic for photography, the sunlight plus the flash really highlighted the various shades of brown on the frog. This is the same species as above.

Dave Jay

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Now that the frogs are warm and active again I thought I'd get some pictures. Not the best pictures of them and they look a bit skinny after winter but I'll post them anyway. If nothing else when I take another batch you'll see how much weight they put on over summer.
There are a pair of Green Tree Frogs, also known as White's Tree Frog, Litoria caerulea, and a Pobblebonk Frog, also known as The Eastern banjo frog Limnodynastes dumerilii dumerilii but I call her (I think her) Donk. Green Tree Fogs can be territorial and are one of the few frogs that will call purely to establish territory but after a little bit of dominating behaviour Donk fitted into the community and they all get along great.
049.JPG
044.JPG
053.JPG

The Female Green Tree Frog
078.JPG
040.JPG
060.JPG
064.JPG
074.JPG

And the male Green Tree Frog
061.JPG

He moved but it's interesting to see the start of the jump I thought.
063.JPG
076.JPG

And now Donk
075.JPG
071.JPG
041.JPG
073.JPG
066.JPG
069.JPG
043.JPG
070.JPG

Latest posts