• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Attaching foam rock to enclosure

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I am thinking about putting in a foam rock into a new T enclosure. Its light and designed for use with reptiles and is fairly soft, but not squishy.

I don't like the thought of permanently gluing it to the floor, and was wondering if a few pieces of velcro tape on rock and floor might secure it. Likely it will leave a slight gap where some substrate could get underneath.

Any thoughts or better suggestions?

Alternia78

I have used Command strips in the past. They have 3M adhesive and velcro so they can be removed.

You can get them pretty much anywhere (walmart,target,amazon,ect) and they wont break the bank.

Hope this helps

GL

Lentulus

3 Year Member
Two way tape or Velcro could work.

Some T‘s have shown a willingness to rip foam apart. A few of the keepers here remove the foam backgrounds that come with those exo terra enclosures because of it. Something to keep in mind.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
Yeah, i kind have set aside this idea. I think the fake rock would havelooked nice but taken up too much space. Plus the potential for the T to break it or get under it. Maybe i will try just a plant enclosure. Or when my Ts need a larger enclosure.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Two way tape or Velcro could work.

Some T‘s have shown a willingness to rip foam apart. A few of the keepers here remove the foam backgrounds that come with those exo terra enclosures because of it. Something to keep in mind.

Personally, I always remove the exo terra foam backgrounds, because it gives more room & stops my T's from getting behind it. Those foam backgrounds are just too thick for me. One of my used exo terras came with a lovely & cut to fit firmly in place, bark on board. But that sits in bag on a shelf for much the same reason.

As for attaching something to my enclosures. I would personally use hot glue, or some marine life (aquarium) safe glue. As the thought of using something that may, could, would harm my T's is not for me. Also with velcro or reusable adhesive pads, the thought that my T could potentially get caught on, attached to it, would put me off using it.

DustyD

1,000+ Post Club
Tarantula Club Member
I also had reservations about Velcro and a T getting stuck. Well I have time now. The rock looks cool, but I may just try it in a plant vivarium.

Latest posts