• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Asbolus verrucosus mating. Babies on the way?

x_raphael_xx

Hey all,
My blue death feigning beetles have been getting frisky (so I now know I have at least 1 male and 1 female!)
I've read they can be very hard to rear in captivity, so I'm doubtful anything will come from it, but at least I'm reassured their enviroment is comfortable enough that they are getting in the mood.

What can I do to maximise the chance for eggs and larvae?
'Wikihow' says to bury a carrot, but I'm worried it will just rot and get the substrate wet and gross. Humidity seems to be a big no-no for these guys.
Currently they are on sand, and I'm feeding them on dog biscuits & tiny bits of apple.

241434777_10158644327419677_190394340256997362_n.jpg

x_raphael_xx

Well I think I’ve had success! I’ve pretty much just been feeding them dog biscuits and tiny bits of veg (carrots & cabbage) and leaving them too it.

Today I decided to add a little more sand as they seem to like to dig in the corners, and I’ve stumbled on a few larvae!
I’ve buried a carrot in the extra sand for the larvae to eat, fingers crossed they keep growing.
1B26C53B-EEC1-4F97-B159-677895B89698.jpeg

x_raphael_xx

We have larvae!!! I've spotted about 6 tunnelling through the sand against the side of the enclosure.
I think burying the carrot was a good shout.

Latest posts