• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Armadillidum klugii keep dying - please help! :(

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Hi,

I'm not sure how many isopod keepers are on this forum but wondered if anyone could help (apologies in advance for the long post). If you'd rather skip the writing feel free to glance through the pictures to see if anything stands out to you as an issue.

I had 11 Armadillidian klugii (clowns) in a 30 litre plastic box with 6 giant hissing roaches. It had good ventilation, a humidity gradient; mossy areas I kept damp then dry areas too with lots of decaying leaves and rotting wood hiding places.They were in there a few months then I only had two 2 of the isopods left. I found 3 dead ones (full bodies so not the moults). However I cleared out the whole of the hissing roach closure and never found the bodies of 6 of the isopods. So that made me think maybe the roaches ate them, but I didn't think roaches did that? I was also wondering whether the enclosure was too big for the isopods to find the damp and dry areas when needed.

I am now keeping the isopods in their own smaller enclosure so I can monitor them better. A few weeks ago I got 12 more clowns to join the 2 in the new enclosure. I have included pictures of the new enclosure below. I watched lots of care videos for this species and put even more emphasis on the moisture gradient. The videos said it was best to have 2/3 of the enclosure to be dry substrate with 1/3 moist and a hide that straddles across both, so I did that. I have been dribbling water onto the moss in the damp side when it gets dryer. However today I found another death :( So the problem does not seem to have been solved. Please let me know if you have any ideas as to what I am doing wrong!

Pic 1 was taken a few days ago, so I assume this is the one that has died as it seemed to be having problems with a moult? So on one hand I was worried I wasn't keeping the majority of the enclosure dry enough, but if it was a moult problem wouldn't that suggest not enough moisture? :/ The others also seem to congregate under the cork bark in the moist side, which confuses me as I have seem some care guides stressing that this species tend to like it dryer than others.

The dry side also isn't as dry as it could have been as I ran out of really dry substrate, so put in some substrate made up a few days before from a block, then put the substrate dried out over a few weeks on top.

The mould picture is what I found today when I turned the wood over, so I have chucked that out. However I am confused as to how to get decaying wood for them to eat without it moulding? As I hasn't added any moisture to these pieces once they were in the enclosure (after trying to dry them out after getting them from the woods, decontaminating them in boiling water on the stove, then leaving them to dry as much as possible). Note: all the leaves etc, anything found in woods way away from a road, were all boiled too. I sprinkle the dry food (oats, milk powder for calcium) on the dry side to try to avoid moulding but obviously that hasn't worked. So I am wondering maybe they need a plate or something for that? I put in a range of small bits of fruit and veg also on the dry side and change it out before that moulds.

However, in the roach enclosure they were previously in when I cleared it out I found no mould at all, so the mould could account for today's death, but not the previous 10 deaths?

Who knew keeping isopods would be so complicated! Oh - I also do have cuttlefish bone mixed into the substrate as I read that helped for their protein.

I also have Armadillidium vulgare in an enclosure set up the same way, that so far seem to be fine (I 'think' I even saw a new baby), but it has only been a few weeks.

DSC01991 - Copy.JPG

DSC02581 - Copy.JPG

DSC02583 - Copy.JPG

DSC02584 - Copy.JPG

DSC02586 - Copy.JPG

DSC02585 - Copy.JPG

DSC02577 - Copy.JPG

DSC02587 - Copy.JPG

DSC02596 - Copy.JPG

Vermis

Tarantula Club Member
The videos said it was best to have 2/3 of the enclosure to be dry substrate
So on one hand I was worried I wasn't keeping the majority of the enclosure dry enough
The dry side also isn't as dry as it could have been as I ran out of really dry substrate

o_O

I don't keep isopods (yet), so what do I know that those YouTube keepers don't, and I understand the benefits of a humidity gradient; but having the majority of an isopod enclosure be dry just comes across like bad advice. The behaviour of your isopods...

The others also seem to congregate under the cork bark in the moist side,

... also seems to suggest they don't like it quite that dry. Maybe they emerge and eagerly ramble about the dry side before retreating the moisture, I dunno. If it were me, I might try reverting to the less extreme humidity gradient.

Mouldy wood, again, not much first-hand experience, but I've been up and down @Hisserdude's blog recently, and the unworried aside in this post stuck in my mind:

It's something I try to keep in mind myself, when I see some fluff appear on the bark in my new roach colonies.

Gizalba

3 Year Member
o_O

I don't keep isopods (yet), so what do I know that those YouTube keepers don't, and I understand the benefits of a humidity gradient; but having the majority of an isopod enclosure be dry just comes across like bad advice. The behaviour of your isopods...

... also seems to suggest they don't like it quite that dry. Maybe they emerge and eagerly ramble about the dry side before retreating the moisture, I dunno. If it were me, I might try reverting to the less extreme humidity gradient.

Mouldy wood, again, not much first-hand experience, but I've been up and down @Hisserdude's blog recently, and the unworried aside in this post stuck in my mind:

It's something I try to keep in mind myself, when I see some fluff appear on the bark in my new roach colonies.

Thanks very much for the reply! I will wait to see if anyone with this species has any thoughts. That blog looks really helpful in general, will have a read thanks :)

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
o_O

Actually, a lot of the newer isopod species that have entered culture do prefer most of their enclosure to be dry. For Armadillidium usually they don't need it THAT dry, they just like lots of airflow. I'd recommend a 50/50 humidity gradient for this particular species, especially since the healthy ones are congregating in the humid areas. Might be an issue of them needing more ventilation rather than a dryer setup, and they could actually be drying up.

Another major concern is heat, I know excessive heat very quickly kills isopods. If the temps in the enclosure rise much above 75F I'd blame the heat for the deaths.

And yeah, mold is rarely an issue when it comes to isopods.

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
I do not have clown Isopods, Armadillidium Klugii. But I would keep them at room temperature, as they are a native to the Balkans, with a 3/4 humid, 1/4 dry ratio. With good ventilation.

@Vermis Isopods come from a variety of locations. Local to me I have isopods found in sand dunes, so as dry as it gets. In the shingle band above high water & on cliffs. Not all Isopods thrive in moist conditions.

The following is how I keep 2 of my Porcellio species. The sides also have plenty of smaller holes to allow cross flow of air.

z3.jpg

Gizalba

3 Year Member
Actually, a lot of the newer isopod species that have entered culture do prefer most of their enclosure to be dry. For Armadillidium usually they don't need it THAT dry, they just like lots of airflow. I'd recommend a 50/50 humidity gradient for this particular species, especially since the healthy ones are congregating in the humid areas. Might be an issue of them needing more ventilation rather than a dryer setup, and they could actually be drying up.

Another major concern is heat, I know excessive heat very quickly kills isopods. If the temps in the enclosure rise much above 75F I'd blame the heat for the deaths.

And yeah, mold is rarely an issue when it comes to isopods.

Thanks very much for the info! I will have a think more about the ventilation then. I did put what I thought was lots of holes down the sides for cross-ventilation, but maybe they need a bigger hole on the top with netting across. But yeah I did read that regarding the range of isopods now kept and how some of them are from drier areas.

For the heat, we are having a heat wave in the UK at the moment but where I keep them is usually 73.4F (23 degrees celsius), 24 degrees C max in the daytime. I had read that Armadillidium also shouldn't get too cold, so in the previous enclosure where most of them died, when the weather was colder (my room could go down to 59F at night) I had one side of the enclosure heated to 73.4 F by a nearby oil radiator. Was this too hot/ do you think the radiator might have been the cause of them drying out?

Is mould rarely an issue because they eat it?

I really like how your blog is organised btw, with all the species in alphabetical order down the side :)

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
Thanks very much for the info! I will have a think more about the ventilation then. I did put what I thought was lots of holes down the sides for cross-ventilation, but maybe they need a bigger hole on the top with netting across. But yeah I did read that regarding the range of isopods now kept and how some of them are from drier areas.

For the heat, we are having a heat wave in the UK at the moment but where I keep them is usually 73.4F (23 degrees celsius), 24 degrees C max in the daytime. I had read that Armadillidium also shouldn't get too cold, so in the previous enclosure where most of them died, when the weather was colder (my room could go down to 59F at night) I had one side of the enclosure heated to 73.4 F by a nearby oil radiator. Was this too hot/ do you think the radiator might have been the cause of them drying out?

Is mould rarely an issue because they eat it?

I really like how your blog is organised btw, with all the species in alphabetical order down the side :)

Yeah I like using both side and lid ventilation personally. :)

73F shouldn't be too hot and is an ideal temp for them IMO, but the oil radiator may have made the temps inside the enclosure even warmer than that if they were especially close to it, or dried it out much too fast. I'd definitely aim for keeping at least half the enclosure humid at all times.

Sometimes they'll eat the mold, but more often it's the case that springtails eat the mold, and in the time it takes for them to do that the mold doesn't really bother the pods, they just walk over it and don't care much.

Thanks, I appreciate it! :D

Gizalba

3 Year Member
I do not have clown Isopods, Armadillidium Klugii. But I would keep them at room temperature, as they are a native to the Balkans, with a 3/4 humid, 1/4 dry ratio. With good ventilation.

@Vermis Isopods come from a variety of locations. Local to me I have isopods found in sand dunes, so as dry as it gets. In the shingle band above high water & on cliffs. Not all Isopods thrive in moist conditions.

The following is how I keep 2 of my Porcellio species. The sides also have plenty of smaller holes to allow cross flow of air.

View attachment 58363

Thanks very much for the pictures! I wondered how you cut out the window in the top? I have tried cutting one out with a pen knife but it didn't go well and felt dangerous lol. So I have been using a soldering iron but of course the holes aren't very big then.

Latest posts