• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are ultrasonic rodent repellers irritating/bad for tarantulas?

Larry

Hello Friends,

My ancient house has a mice problem that I'm working to get under control. Somehow they are evading traps.
I bought some ultrasonic rodent repellers (bell+howell is the brand) and plugged them in around the house.
I currently have one on the floor under my desk my tarantula tanks are a generous 11 feet away from the desk, and the direction of the speaker on the device is not pointed in the direction of the tanks.

However, the manual says that it is capable of covering a typically sized room, but also that it can't penetrate solid surfaces... so the ultrasonic tone would have to bounce out from under the desk that it is enclosed beneath to reach the Ts.

After two hours I have not detected any unusual motion or irritation of my two tarantulas... but I thought I'd reach out here as a paranoid keeper. Perhaps someone can lend some insight. Many thanks for reading!

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Hello Friends,

My ancient house has a mice problem that I'm working to get under control. Somehow they are evading traps.
I bought some ultrasonic rodent repellers (bell+howell is the brand) and plugged them in around the house.
I currently have one on the floor under my desk my tarantula tanks are a generous 11 feet away from the desk, and the direction of the speaker on the device is not pointed in the direction of the tanks.

However, the manual says that it is capable of covering a typically sized room, but also that it can't penetrate solid surfaces... so the ultrasonic tone would have to bounce out from under the desk that it is enclosed beneath to reach the Ts.

After two hours I have not detected any unusual motion or irritation of my two tarantulas... but I thought I'd reach out here as a paranoid keeper. Perhaps someone can lend some insight. Many thanks for reading!
I doubt the tarantulas would pick up the frequency that those sound repellants emit they are detectable to only certain species as far as I'm aware...
You do better to get yourself a cat or 2.. That will solve your mouse problems in no time :)

Oursapoil

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
From a previous experience, cats and tarantulas do not mix well. Back in France my cat opened one terrarium and knocked out two. I guess furry things moving behind the glass are tempting...or maybe it was just my cat ;)

ilovebrachys

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
From a previous experience, cats and tarantulas do not mix well. Back in France my cat opened one terrarium and knocked out two. I guess furry things moving behind the glass are tempting...or maybe it was just my cat ;)
@Enn49 has cats and keeps her Ts safely from them :) it's possible they could cause a problem if in the same room I guess but better safe than sorry :)

Casey K.

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
20200806_105937.jpg

(That's catnip bits on his tower, lol.) Sticking his tongue out in this pic.

JH tarantulas

Hello Friends,

Just wondering did your tarantulas ever show signs of stress from the ultrasound mouse repellent? I just recently moved my two old tarantulas (one is 23 yrs old & the other 17 yrs old) to my new house and have the ultrasonic repellent for mice. Just worried but they do not show any signs of stress.