• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are these suitable for my slings?

RIsurfcaster

3 Year Member
I have 2 B Smithi, and 1 L Parahybana. These are the small amac boxes. Sub is eco earth. No water dish, but I use an eye dropper and add about 10 drops of water to one side of the enclosure as needed, usually every 4-5 days. These are my first spiders so any critiques are welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 89
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 81
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 82
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 83

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Looks fine to me, looks like some on my desk even ;) I'd be careful with stones though. If they burrow under them it could be bad. I use small chunks of cork bark in those size enclosures to give them something to get off the substrate.

Substrate looks a bit damp, but that my just be the picture. You'll want it moist so those guys can burrow, the smithi's don't burrow so much, but the LP will. I moisten the substrate so when i squeeze it, it holds shape but doesn't drip any moisture out.

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agreed and I'm a huge believer in water dishes. My LP always drank at that size (still does but it's much bigger now) water bottle cap works well. The rocks frighten me a bit due to falling issues and like @kormath said if they burrow under them and it collapses.
Nearly anything can be a hide for these guys even a good size plastic leaf will give them some cover and a place to bask on.

RIsurfcaster

3 Year Member
Thanks Kormath and Kymora. I did allot of research before I purchased these slings... I want to give them the best quality of life and living conditions I possibly can. I appreciate members such as yourselves that help me achieve that. The rocks are removed.

As I stated above, I did my share of research and in my opinion water dishes and slings are a highly debated subject. Seems like people are either all for them, or completely against them. I've read a few stories of people's slings drowning, but also read several times that slings can swim. The fear of one of them drowning is what prevented me from adding a water dish. I'm really torn on that one, but I'll definitely research the water dish more and truly appreciate your recommendations. Thanks again guys!

Entity

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
In and enclosure that small I find that a small lego piece makes an excellent water dish...it will hold water for a couple days and it is too small for the little spiderling to fully get into..

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Honestly never heard of one drowning unless something fell.on them and prevented them getting out in some way....just as an eexample my LP baby right after molting. -->IMG_2649.JPG

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Honestly never heard of one drowning unless something fell.on them and prevented them getting out in some way....just as an eexample my LP baby right after molting. -->View attachment 20112
Never heard of them drowning either. That's a first.

In and enclosure that small I find that a small lego piece makes an excellent water dish...it will hold water for a couple days and it is too small for the little spiderling to fully get into..
Agreed. the 2x2 square blocks make great water dishes for that size enclosure. Put a few pieces of aquarium gravel in them so the crickets or other prey don't drown. It will give them something to stand on if they go in the dish.

Here's a view of one of my 2.5x2.5" enclosures like you have. Coke bottle cap from a 1 liter bottle (used to call those the Big Slam bottles ;)) with decorative aquarium gravel.
20160906_172500[1].jpg

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
I have 2 B Smithi, and 1 L Parahybana. These are the small amac boxes. Sub is eco earth. No water dish, but I use an eye dropper and add about 10 drops of water to one side of the enclosure as needed, usually every 4-5 days. These are my first spiders so any critiques are welcome. Thanks.
I use amac boxes for most slings. They're perfect. As stated above, get Water dishes. In my amac boxes that size, I use tattoo ink pods. They're perfect for them, and when dirty, toss it n replace it. They're cheap on eBay....like 150 for under $10. Also, I usually start a lil starter Burris in one of the corners, if there's no hide or cork bark in there. That way some work is done, and the sling can create its burrow

KevTK

3 Year Member
What I did with my sling containers is to take a pencil and create an angled "burrow" along the edge. All my slings took advantage of the burrow was there rather than making their own. But they did expand it. Making it at the edge lets you always keep an eye on them. ;)

SpiderDad61

3 Year Member
IMG_6020.PNG
Thanks Kormath and Kymora. I did allot of research before I purchased these slings... I want to give them the best quality of life and living conditions I possibly can. I appreciate members such as yourselves that help me achieve that. The rocks are removed.

As I stated above, I did my share of research and in my opinion water dishes and slings are a highly debated subject. Seems like people are either all for them, or completely against them. I've read a few stories of people's slings drowning, but also read several times that slings can swim. The fear of one of them drowning is what prevented me from adding a water dish. I'm really torn on that one, but I'll definitely research the water dish more and truly appreciate your recommendations. Thanks again guys!
The water dishes aren't debated by knowledgeable T keepers. They are absolutely a good idea. Keeps u from soaking substrate a T like the Smithi will hate. I use those amac boxes for most all my slings. They're perfect. Like stated, a lego works. A water bottle cap works. BUT my fav are little tattoo ink pods. They're perfect size for amacs and have a little lip around the top that sit flush with the substrate when u push them in. They are cheap on eBay ...a pack of 150, (50 of 3 different sizes) are only $10 or less. That way if/WHEN lol, u get more slings, ur ready to go. Here's a quick pic from eBay. There are quick US sellers that'll get em to ya fast.

Latest posts