• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are springtails a good idea?

Arlo

Hey there! I'm thinking of adding springtails to my T. Albo enclosure. I've found there are two types available at a nearby store: folsomia candida and sinella cursviseta. I cannot find any information about them online. Do you know which one (if any) would be best? Will they bother my tarantula when she molts?

Thanks in advance :)

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Springtails are a good idea, but not in a species that needs dry conditions, like a Tliltocatl albopilosus. I have sprintails in several enclosures & a tub that I keep for top ups & new enclosures etc.

Personally I look after my springtails. I regularly add dried yeast to feed my springtails & I add some dead leaves.

I have no idea what species my sprintails are. I brought a small starter colony off ebay, looked after them & now have them in over half a dozen enclosures, plus a massive colony & have passed some on. And no springtails will not cause any molting issues. They only really eat mold, hence why I feed mine dried yeast,

Arlo

Springtails are a good idea, but not in a species that needs dry conditions, like a Tliltocatl albopilosus. I have sprintails in several enclosures & a tub that I keep for top ups & new enclosures etc.

Personally I look after my springtails. I regularly add dried yeast to feed my springtails & I add some dead leaves.

I have no idea what species my sprintails are. I brought a small starter colony off ebay, looked after them & now have them in over half a dozen enclosures, plus a massive colony & have passed some on. And no springtails will not cause any molting issues. They only really eat mold, hence why I feed mine dried yeast,
Dry conditions? Oh no! I've always been told my T requires high humidity...what do you think the % of humidity should be for her species?

octanejunkie

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Dry conditions? Oh no! I've always been told my T requires high humidity...what do you think the % of humidity should be for her species?

Tlitocatl albopilosus does not need high humidity, ambient for most areas should be good.

You can overflow the water dish every few weeks, allowing the substrate to dry before doing so again, to prevent mold, etc.

Arlo

Tlitocatl albopilosus does not need high humidity, ambient for most areas should be good.

You can overflow the water dish every few weeks, allowing the substrate to dry before doing so again, to prevent mold, etc.
I will do that from now on, thank you!!!!

m0lsx

Staff member
1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
The best way to avoid mold in enclosures with species, such as Tlitocatl albopilosus. Is to move the water bowl around regularly. So fill it & over flow it. Then move the bowl once the area has almost dried & overflow again. Thus you allow each area to totally dry out everytime you overflow it. And only allow an area to be damp for a few weeks at a time at the most.

Allowing the substrate to totally dry out, does not allow mold to survive.

Vladerscump

Hey there! I'm thinking of adding springtails to my T. Albo enclosure. I've found there are two types available at a nearby store: folsomia candida and sinella cursviseta. I cannot find any information about them online. Do you know which one (if any) would be best? Will they bother my tarantula when she molts?

Thanks in advance :)
I think spring tails are awesome for mold and fungus.. I've never heard of any info. on one species being more beneficial than the other. If there was and I had the lesser of the two I'd just add more.

MBullock

3 Year Member
Firebrats make a good cleanup crew for dry enclosures. they grow faster than the common silverfish and make good feeders for slings too

Latest posts