• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are Goliath bird eaters good beginner pets?

Sage Exotics

3 Year Member
I wanted a birdeater to add to my collection for a while now. I have a 25-30 gallon long terrarium to use and I have coconut fibre substrate. Two years ago I got what I thought was a Brazilian red sling, turns out he’s a orange baboon tarantula. I’m ok with any big birdeater really, but I don’t want the tank to look empty and all, so I’m thinking Goliath. I don’t really care if it’s blondi or the other one that starts with S, just the easiest one to care for. I won’t be handling my spider so I don’t really mind temperment. I’ve had a Chilean rose since I was three and an orange baboon for the past two 1/2 years. I’m fine with buying caves and branches and dishes for him/her. Do you think a Goliath would be okay? If not, what other birdeater would be the most suitable?

PanzoN88

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've never owned one, but the temperament isn't what you have to worry about, it is the urticating hairs that you must be aware of. If you want an absolutely stunning alternative, might I recommend one of the following:

A. Geniculata

image.jpeg

P, cancerides (this is an older picture of my P. atrichromatus shortly after arrival, since I can't find my P. cancerides pictures)

image.jpeg

Arachnoclown

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Tarantula Club Member
Ive got a few stirmi's and I had a 20 year old blondi till she passed. They are pretty easy to care for...they require moist substrate, not wet. Plus they need lots of cross ventilation. I recently rehoused one of my males that was in a 30 gallon tank. Normally I keep them in tubs with lots of cross ventilation but they suck because you can't see them. My males 30 gallon tank was getting stagnant because I was only venting the top. I was doing substrate changes a couple times a year just so I could showcase one of my Stirmi's. I ended up kicking down some serious coin on a exoterra tank which works great after some mods to the screen top. Ive got plenty of cross ventilation now and i can see my beast. Thats my only advise to you...30 fish tanks only work great on arid species. Lasiodora parahybana would probably be the best birdeater for that enclosure...they are around the 3rd or 4th largest birdeater and they can be in a more dry climate which will be easy to obtain with your enclosure. Here's my rehouse from the 30 to the exoterra if your Interested in that

Sage Exotics

3 Year Member
Hmmm... I thing I like the A. Geniculata, the L. Parahybana looks kinda bland, still prefer the Goliath and the blondi care sheets I’ve seen I can handle one in my terrarium. I’ll look more into the other suggestions. Thanks!

Thistles

3 Year Member
I'd say they aren't, as tarantulas go, but tarantula-keeping isn't rocket science. Anything in Theraphosa isn't a particularly easy tarantula, as they prefer deep, moist substrate and a ton of grub. Their hairs are a biiiiitch, too. No one ever regrets a genic, but there are definitely cases of Theraphosa regret. If you do get one, go with stirmi. They're (imo) prettier, not that any Theraphosa are all that pretty, and definitely cheaper. I've heard that they're easier to keep, but as they're the only one I've kept I have no basis for comparison. I'd definitely recommend a genic before a stirmi, though.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Agree with Thistles, stirmi is supposed to be hardier. And due to moisture/ventilation requirements and their tendency to obesity Theraphosa are not starter friendly. But theyre doable, just study up.
Lasiodora, Phormictopus, Acanthoscuria are all better choices, imo. Get what you like though, and we love pics here!

Sage Exotics

3 Year Member
I do think the pink salmon birdeater is most suitable for my enclosure, I do like the Brazilian white knee one, though. I’m no stranger to keeping exotic animals; bearded dragon, land hermit crabs, corn snake, scorpions, all kinds of fish and others aquatic creatures, African dwarf frogs, parakeets, culturing little crustaceans and worms like vinegar worms, seed shrimp, cyclops, planaria worms, are all pets I’ve had or do have, and I’m probably forgetting something. Plus I have two cats and a dog. I most certainly don’t mind doing lots of maintenance, I just want a bird eater that I won’t easily kill, I try to go the safest route with my animals so I stick to beginner pets (mostly), and I only have two tarantulas.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Not trying to discourage you from Theraphosa at all, but you did say beginner sp., and Theraphosa aren't. But as I said..the information for keeping one in perfect conditions is at your fingertips. I hope you get 10 and breed them, personaly. I love the big brown beauties. They tend to have a presence like no other spider I've seen. And if they stridulate at you..bonus. The big ones are loud and creepy, lol.

Thistles

3 Year Member
This is what has put me off getting Theraphosa sp.
I’ve experienced urticating hairs from several Ts and some were pretty uncomfortable for a while, I have dogs and I’d imagine it would be extreme if my pups where to sniff Theraphosa hairs...
I used big dish gloves and my chemistry goggles for mine. I'm way too sensitive to risk it.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Any Lasiodora species, not just LPs would be just fine. The main difference is the colors and the prices but the slings aren't all that unreasonable in price. They grow fast and can get 2 thirds as big as the T blondi, 8" versus 12" to be more precise.

I'd also look into pamphometeous species as well. They require a tad bit more moisture but otherwise are identical to keep as Lasiodora.

The only difference between my L klugi's environment and my P sp machala's environment is the frequency that I water the frog moss in the cage.

The humidity in my Lasiodora cage is set precisely to DILLIGAF. I try to keep my machala above 50% and below 65% but that's not terribly important.

It's strictly my opinion, but T apophysis is slightly more attractive then T blondi. If I was going to get into that genus, that's the only way I'd go into it.

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
LPs are impressive. Invest in tongs because the feeding response of any Lasiodora is the dominant first reaction. These guys aren't aggressive. They totally think everything that moves is food, kinda like the nibbler character from Futurama. That means they might accidently bite without any threat posture. Have a hiding place an you'll never see a threat display at any size they get.

Slings are fun for these guys. My Lasiodora had gone from 1.5"-2"all the way to 5". The changes are fascinating.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I generalize about sp behavior sometimes, we all do. But its entirely possible you get a big tittybaby, or a raving murderer. You never know. The gentlest spider Ive handled was a large mm Lp. He was a lover, not a fighter. Never once got ugly with me or my bigger female. He was paired and spent his last summer in my field. Cause Im weird and still anthropomorphize occasionally..FREEDOOOOM!

wolf0551984

3 Year Member
hi sage my first spider was a Brazilian salmon pink bird eater Lasiodora parahybana she is the most docile spider I have so easy to handle she is amazing and I would say yes to the question that a bird eater would be a good starter tarantula

Whitelightning777

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
The temperment for mine is calm but when I once tried putting my hand level in the enclosure she moved around easy enough when prodded.

When she got closer to my hand, she flattened out and refused to go any closer. I abandoned the effort immediately.

Besides the feeding response is a bit much for handling. Lasiodora species, paint brushes and large catch cups or even soft butter tubs are a natural fit.

Latest posts