• Are you a Tarantula hobbyist? If so, we invite you to join our community! Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your pets and enclosures and chat with other Tarantula enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Are Asian Blue Centipedes dangerous?

VanessaS

3 Year Member
So, when I was in the pet shop getting crickets today, the guy tells me about this 'customer' who lost his Asian Blue Centipede at home. I was saying something about being glad that I won't being living in an apartment building with some guy with a rattlesnake, and they tell me this story.
I asked them whether it is the guy who works there because, the last time I was in, he was handling his blue centipede and the big orange one that is very dangerous. Sorry, I don't know the scientific names of any of them. He ummed a bit and then followed up with 'He found it two days later!'.
Yeah, sure he did.
And that is why tarantulas are banned in this city.
:(

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Handling a Scolopendra subspinipes is really not smart..it doesn't surprise me he lost one. I'm not sure what sp Asian blue is..but its probably a painful one. Lol. From what I'm reading, just blocking them with your hand to herd them will get you bitten.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
He took both of them out when I was there. He didn't tell me what was in the container and I took a couple of big steps back when he took them out with the tweezers and put them on his arm. Not even the most defensive tarantulas would get me to do that. I was worried that he would get bitten and fling them my way by accident. I stood way back.
I hope he finds it before it bites some poor child.

MassExodus

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
Just talked to someone who's friend got hit recently by a Dehanni. Hurt bad, he said. His arm went numb and his thumb swelled up good :p He thought he would pick one up, see how they handled. Lmao.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
So, you providing me with the scientific name made me google them - that looks like the orange one he had. Of course, there are a bunch of photos of people handling them.
It's bound to happen at one point in Toronto. Not that every centipede owner will have one escape, but that someone owning a centipede in this city is going to have one escape. They are very popular and sell out at all the expo's. Even though they are banned, there are probably hundreds around. That will be the next thing - expo's being banned inside Toronto or by-law officers showing up at them.
That would suck big time.
I'm picking up my lot from Tarantula Canada next Sunday at the expo. Plus, they have lots of Euathlus sp Red in. I have to get, at least, two of those.

micheldied

3 Year Member
How large was the blue one? Could be some kind of Ethmostigmus, which wouldn't be too bad. The most common blue ones are usually Ethmostigmus, Otostigmus, or some of the smaller Scolopendra. None of these would be too bad. I can only think of one or two S. subspinipes and S. deehani color forms that are kind of blue, and those would be bad. But I wouldn't call them dangerous, just very painful.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
The blue one was smaller - probably about 4". He said that people are advised against handling them, because they are dangerous, but he had done it lots of times. My concern is that he lives in an apartment building and there are lots of children about. If a child gets bitten - that can be far more serious and the tarantula community doesn't need that sort of press.

micheldied

3 Year Member
The blue one was smaller - probably about 4". He said that people are advised against handling them, because they are dangerous, but he had done it lots of times. My concern is that he lives in an apartment building and there are lots of children about. If a child gets bitten - that can be far more serious and the tarantula community doesn't need that sort of press.

They aren't too dangerous, especially the smaller species. Of the common species, the S. subspinipes, deehani, and alternans are probably the only ones that do any real damage. Of course, I'm not advocating handling, and losing one is pretty irresponsible, especially around children. But I wouldn't be too worried about it. Tell him too look in corners and small tight spaces.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
I don't know him very well - met him only a couple of times. He recently sold me that chub of a G. pulchra in my photos.
You have to be careful about telling people about them - the tarantulas too. Once he knew I had the tarantulas, he showed me what they had in the back. I couldn't leave there without that pulchra.
Then, he brought his personal centipedes out, the store is not selling them. The lovely blue one and the much bigger orange one. He said the orange one was more dangerous and it was closer to 8" long. He just pulled it out with a long pair of tweezers and put it on his arm. I was shocked. I know very little about them, but what I do know is that you want to avoid being bitten at all costs.
As gorgeous as they are, and as much as I appreciate and respect them, that freaked me out quite a bit.

Last edited:

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
They aren't too dangerous, especially the smaller species. Of the common species, the S. subspinipes, deehani, and alternans are probably the only ones that do any real damage. Of course, I'm not advocating handling, and losing one is pretty irresponsible, especially around children. But I wouldn't be too worried about it. Tell him too look in corners and small tight spaces.
0JqrJQ3.jpg
of course they are dangerous....they're CENTIPEDES!!!
2QNC4Lg.gif

(jk naturally but they do give me shivers)

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I've had many S. deehani (same species as the one in the video you posted) and I would never handle ANY of them. Those things are pretty crazy.
I'm considering putting one of the little local guys in an enclosure next time I have to move one outside, just to see if I can get used to it, I like millipedes, but these guys just make me eww.

VanessaS

3 Year Member
The end of that clip is like something out of The Blair Witch Project with the camera flying all over. I don't have any sound at work, so I am going to rewatch it when I get home to see if the person is screaming. That was pretty silly business, though. Thinking that you could trick them while they were having their lunch. Silly move.
I do think they are pretty awesome, even though I wouldn't have one. They are also super, duper, mums.

3d14ef3952e7eb55e45fa18aae796713.jpg

Kymura

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
totally agree with the mum part, was reading a thread on another forum with a bunch of new baby pedes absolutely adorable

kormath

1,000+ Post Club
3 Year Member
I don't like those videos lol. I sit there cringing the whole time waiting for the dumb ass to get bit and at the same time thinking "bite the dumb ass!" Lol

Hisserdude

3 Year Member
The end of that clip is like something out of The Blair Witch Project with the camera flying all over. I don't have any sound at work, so I am going to rewatch it when I get home to see if the person is screaming. That was pretty silly business, though. Thinking that you could trick them while they were having their lunch. Silly move.
I do think they are pretty awesome, even though I wouldn't have one. They are also super, duper, mums.

View attachment 15644

Sure, sometimes they are great mothers, though if you disturb a brooding mother, many times she will start eating her eggs...